Made to suit you and the particular nature of your adventure, tents are designed to shelter you like a house, only in this case, a house that fits inside your backpack. They come made in different materials, meaning they vary in quality and weight, and also shapes and sizes depending on the numbers in your crew. You’d find those tiny ones, suited for your average bachelor, which literally fold up to the size of a hand briefcase; while on the other hand, there are those that are extremely large and would comfortably accommodate a party of eight or more. So if you are looking to storm the night together with your mates, an 8 person tent would be perfect for you.
Large Person tents tend to be a bit more delicate. For them to qualify as the best, they should be considerably large, yet maintain their level of quality. They should also be durable enough to withstand the elements and exhibit all the other necessary requirements of a walking house. Their designs should be fit for human inhabitance and allow room for aeration and movement, not particularly limited to that miniature impromptu pillow fight.
Finding a tent that checks on all these qualities can be a bit of a task. In fact, some of these tents that are described as an 8 person tent tend to be smaller than imagined, meaning you may be better suited with a 10 to 12 person tent. This is why we’ve done our research, bringing you a selection of the ‘truly’ best 8 person tents in the market.
Top 10 8 Person Tent of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 10 8 Person Tent of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. TETON Sports Sierra 16 Canvas Tent
- 2. Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe 8-Person Tent
- 3. Coleman 8-Person Tent for Camping | Montana Tent with Easy Setup
- 4. Montana Trails Grand Pass 10-Person Tent
- 5. Ozark Trail 8-Person Dome Tent
- 6. White Duck Outdoors Premium Luxury Avalon Canvas Bell Tent
- 7. NTK Laredo GT 8 to 9 Person 10 by 15 Foot Sport Camping Tent
- 8. Browning Camping Big Horn Tent
- 9. Eureka Copper Canyon 8-Person Tent
- 10. Wenzel 8-Person Klondike Tent
- Choosing The Best 8 Person Tent – The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. TETON Sports Sierra 16 Canvas TentBest Breathable Canva Tent
Just because it is waterproof does not mean that a tent should not be breathable. When it combines both attributes, it is able to give you the necessary protection while remaining as comfortable as possible. Thus the tent will keep away the elements even as it lets in lots of fresh air. This is thanks to the two-in-one tent. The outer canopy protects you from the elements while the inner one ensures greater breathability.
With this tent, you get almost the same experience as what you have at home. The door is extra-wide to enable you to walk through while the windows allow in the bright sunlight. It is a 201 square-foot tent that can last for years given that it is made from durable canvas. You can take it with you on family camping trips or use it for special occasions such as weddings, festivals, and re-unions. Each time, this tent will help you to build the memories together as a family.
One thing you will appreciate about this tent is that it is extremely easy to set up. That’s because it features an easy two-pole assembly. Simply push the carbon steel stakes into the ground and you will have the basic frame of the tent up and ready. When you have an issue to raise, why don’t you call the manufacturer’s customer service team? They will listen to you and respond to whatever issue you might be having.
- Made of durable, waterproof, breathable cotton
- A multi-functional 8-person tent
- Easy to set up
- Some users received it without stakes
- Lacks a power port opening
- Cannot accommodate 8 sleeping people
2. Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe 8-Person TentBest Deluxe 8-Person Tent
The Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe 8-Person Tent is designed to be durable and long-lasting. In fact, it is virtually indestructible. It is made from a watertight, durable, and breathable 100 percent cotton canvas. Thus, you should expect to be using this tent a long time after buying it. When mounted, it can cover a 10 by 14 feet area, which is big enough to fit 8 people.
In packing mode, you will get the tent in two components. The poles measure 45 by 5 inches while the canvas reduces to a 36 by 16 inches affair. In total it weighs 80 pounds. That means you need a vehicle when carrying this tent from one place to another. But since you need it to keep the elements away, you must find a way to carry it to camp.
The cotton duck canvas uses the hydra-shield technology to shield off the water while retaining its breathability. The vinyl-sealed seams prevent water from straying into the tent. The door has a number-10 YKK zipper which is waterproof and durable. The covered porch area provides extra space for additional persons. To reiterate, this is the perfect tent for car campers. It is strong enough for you to use on family camping expeditions for years on end. What more could you want in an 8-person tent?
- An adult can walk inside freely
- The air-flow in the tent is superb
- The canvas is made of durable cotton material
- A heavy tent, not suitable for backpacking
- Comparatively harder to set up
- May not fit 8 sleeping adults
3. Coleman 8-Person Tent for Camping | Montana Tent with Easy SetupBest Lightweight Camping Tent
The Coleman Montana 8-Person Tent comes with a conventional design. That is not like other tents by Coleman, which feature unique designs. It is also one of the most affordable in its class. Once you mount it, the tent will cover a massive 16 by 7 feet area. It can fit up to 8 adults sitting and still leave some room for the gear. The tent is perfect for a family camping trip. When packed, it measures 27 by 8 by 8 inches and weighs about 20 pounds. That makes it a lightweight tent is suitable for backpacking as well as car camping.
To make it weather resistant, the tent features the WeatherTec system which ensures that no water sips through. The inverted, welded seams hold the different canvas pieces tightly together to the extent of keeping away all moisture. Inside, the tent is made of mesh to allow for improved air circulation when the weather gets hot. When it starts raining, you can cover the mesh with the rainfly to remain dry and protected.
Apart from being a great tent for family camping trips, it is also recommended for scouts and people who spend long periods of time in the outdoors. For a small price, you will get a durable, long-lasting tent. What 8-person tent would you want?
- A lightweight tent that is great for backpacking
- Fully waterproof and breathable
- Costs less than other 8-person tents
- May leak through the sides and floor when it rains
- Customer support is unresponsive
- May not accommodate 8 adults
4. Montana Trails Grand Pass 10-Person TentBest 8-10 Person Tent
The Montana Trains Grand Pass 10-person Tent is the closest you get in terms of a massive tent. It can carry up to 10 sitting adults and a maximum of 6 sleeping ones. The area on the ground can fit 3 queen-size mattresses sitting next to each other. That means two adults can use one mattress. When you multiply that by three, you get a total of 6 adults. It covers a total area measuring 18 by 5.5 feet. The tent comes with a plastic sheet that can be used to partition the room into two separate spaces. That way, adults and children can sleep in separate areas.
Setting up this tent is extremely easy. It doesn’t matter how much it is going to rain. The tent is designed to be completely waterproof. It has a reinforced polyethylene floor, which prevents water from leaking through the floor. The polyethylene floor cover is welded onto the canvas, which means the water won’t leak under any circumstances. The fiberglass frame is shock-corded to prevent the tent from collapsing.
When you are through with camping, you can easily take down the tent and pack it to a small size. The collapsed package weighs a paltry 21 pounds. Whether you are a backpacker or car camper, this is the perfect tent for you.
- Big enough to accommodate 6 sleeping adults
- Easy to set up
- Folds to a small-sized package
- May leak along the ends of the seams
- The tent may collapse in the wind
- The tent isn’t designed to ward off the cold
5. Ozark Trail 8-Person Dome TentBest 8 Person Dome Tent
Are you looking for a tent to use on your next family camping trip? If so, then the Ozark Trail 8-Person Dome Tent is what you should buy. The dome makes roomy enough for you and your family members to comfortably stand inside. Once you set it up, it will provide you with a room measuring 115 square feet. However, you can partition the space using the removable room divider so that the children sleep on one side and the adults on the other.
With this tent, you don’t need a lot of manpower to set it up. Even if it is only you and your partner, you will be able to set the tent up in an easy, simple way. In fact, you do not need help from the children.
It comes with two front doors so that the people from each of the partitions can easily get out and into the rooms. On a dry starry night, you can remove the canvas and remain with the mesh. That way, you will be able to engage in stargazing. The tent features five extra-large windows which let in the light during the day. To the front, it has a mud mat so that you can wipe your shoes and prevent soiling the tent’s interior.
- An affordable tent
- Easy to set up
- Can be partitioned for extra privacy
- May not accommodate 8 adults
- The seams may leak
- Not designed to insulate against the cold
6. White Duck Outdoors Premium Luxury Avalon Canvas Bell TentBest Premium Bell 8 Person Tent
The White Duck Outdoors Tent is created to serve you through all seasons. It is perfect for use during a rainstorm as well as in the sunshine. Thanks to the high-density PVC groundsheet, this tent will ward off runoff water when it starts to rain. Besides, the bell design makes it easy for water and snow to slide off the roof to the ground. When you get into the tent, you can secure it using some of the best zippers around.
Another thing about the bell design is that this tent is more spacious than similar products. When fully erected the tent has a wall height of 3 inches and a center height of 9 inches. With that, both you, your spouse, and children can walk through the tent without any fear. The tent has a total of 12 windows, which ensures maximum ventilation. Four of the windows come with detachable bug mesh which, when in place, will help to ward off the mosquitoes.
When choosing an 8-person tent to buy, one of the things you should consider is the time it will take to set it up. It turns out that this tent is extremely easy to set up. It comes with a standing steel pole and a steel A-frame which once set into place makes setting up this tent very easy. When you are through with the camping trip, you can simply fold it and pack it into a waterproof bag.
- A PVC groundsheet keeps you dry
- Great in all seasons
- Very well ventilated
- You need help to set it up
- The material seems week
- May fail to keep away the cold
7. NTK Laredo GT 8 to 9 Person 10 by 15 Foot Sport Camping TentBest Sport Camping 8 Person Tent
Having been in the business of making camping equipment for decades, NTK is a well-known brand in the Americas. The NTK Laredo GT is only one of the latest from this company. It measures 15 by 10 feet, enough to fit up to 8 people together with camping gear. When folded up, it weighs only 23 pounds. Thus, it is not too heavy for you to be able to carry.
On the floor, the tent features a waterproof material that is also anti-fungal in addition to keeping away run-off water, it will fight the growth of harmful mold. A lot of air gets to flow in and out of the tent, thanks to the windows and vents spread all over the surface. When the weather changes, you can simply pull the rainfly into place to keep away the water.
Compared to similar-sized tents, this particular product is extremely easy to set up. In fact, it uses only 4 rods compared to other 8-people tents which have up to 8 rods. Its clever design doesn’t need too much manpower to set up. What you get is a lot of room to accommodate up to 8 persons as well as your gear.
- Covers a massive area to accommodate more people
- The floor material is fully waterproof
- It is easy to set up
- The tent attracts moths at night
- The rain cover is prone to get torn
- No window covers for privacy
8. Browning Camping Big Horn TentBest Horn 8 Person Tent
A tent that can provide the best ventilation will always be preferred over the rest. In that aspect, the Browning Camping Big Horn Tent stands out of the crowd. It features six large windows, a mesh roof, and two doorways. All of these make it easy for air circulation into and out of the tent to happen easily. Also, the doorways and windows let in a lot of light during the day. Living in a tent will feel more like home.
The floor space covered by this tent measures 15 by 10 feet, which is enough to accommodate a family. To separate the sleeping areas for parents and children, you can use the wall divider. Thus, the parents can sleep in one partition and the children in the other. Gear such as extra gear such as cots and sleeping bags can best be kept in the side walls.
This tent is one of the easiest to set up. It stands freely while being supported by steel uprights and fiberglass poles. What you get is a strong, sturdy, and stable structure that won’t collapse in a storm. The package includes steel stakes and guy ropes. Using the mesh pockets, you can store some of your small items.
- A well-ventilated tent
- The floor space can be partitioned
- Creates a strong structure once erected
- Provides less storage space
- The floor tends to leak
- Poles likely to break
9. Eureka Copper Canyon 8-Person TentBest Canyon 8-Person Tent
You would expect a company that makes military tents to come up with some of the best products. For that reason, the Eureka Copper Canyon 8-person tent is a durable structure that features a frame combining steel and fiberglass. Thus, you can expect the structure to stand strong once you erect it. It covers a floor space that measures 14 by 12 feet in total. The maximum roof height is up to 7 feet. Thus, you should expect your large family of up to 8 persons to fit into this tent. The floor divider makes it possible to separate the spaces for adults and the kids.
Instead of being strictly a cabin tent, it also has some features of a dome tent. That’s why it seems to do well when it comes to maximizing space. When you collapse it, you will get a heap measuring 28 by 10 inches. Its total weight is just 12 pounds. Even though it isn’t considered a backpacking tent, it weights much less than most of the other tents.
It comes with sealed seams while those at the bottom are welded into place. That’s in a bid to ensure that no moisture penetrates into the tent. For your ventilation needs, the tent comes with 4 mesh windows, 2 mesh doors, and vents under the rainfly. Since the openings can be closed up, you can use this tent even in cold weather. Another thing is the number of storage pockets in the tent. You get a total of 6 pockets.
- Has a space-saving design
- Lightweight when folded down
- A floor divider for easy partitioning
- Water may lead through the door flies
- Difficult to set up
- Costlier than other 8-person tents
10. Wenzel 8-Person Klondike TentBest 8 Person Tent with Convertible Screen Room
For a company that has been making tents since the late 1800s, Wenzel is undoubtedly one of the most familiar. The Wenzel 8-Person Klondike tent measures 16 by 11 feet. However, not all of that space is the room you can occupy. About 6 by 11 of that space is nothing but a screen room. While it is possible to seal off the screens, anyone sleeping here will have to grapple with more cold than those in the main tent. So, it will not be surprising if the tent cannot hold up to 8 people.
In terms of being waterproof, the tent ticks all the right boxes. It comes with a full-cover rainfly designed to cover the mesh on the top and form awnings on the mesh windows. All round, the tent has sealed seams. As for the bottom, the tent features a raised, seamless tub. Seal it tightly and no moisture will enter the tent.
Due to its large size, the tent might take you some time to set up. However, once you have the hang of it, you can set it up in between 5 and 10 minutes. All it takes is to learn how to assemble the corner elbows, steel uprights, and fiberglass roof frame. You will be surprised how easy the tent is to set up.
- A fully weatherproof design
- The polyurethane material lasts long
- A massive tent
- It takes time before you learn how to set it up
- The tent comes loose in wintry weather
- The tent gets hot in the sun
Choosing The Best 8 Person Tent – The Ultimate Buying Guide
When it comes to being spacious enough to accommodate the whole of your family, 8-person tents are the best. They are roomy enough for use by large camping parties or smaller ones in need of a room for keeping their gear. If anything, the tents are large enough to accommodate several cots or air mattresses when out camping.
Ideally, you need such a tent when staying in the outdoors for prolonged periods of time. However, 8-person tents are a bit complicated, buying the right one isn’t an easy task. That’s the reason we have come up with this buying guide. After reading it, you should be better placed to make a good buying decision.
Is The Tent Easy To Set Up?
You will find most of the 8-person tends to be extremely easy to set up. However, there are some which require you to learn the basics before attempting to set them up. Usually, the most difficult ones may require several people to work together.
So, you need to be clear about how many people you will need. Also, assess the tent in terms of the detachable sections as well as the number of included poles. Some tents come with color-coded poles to help you know where to place them. If you find them hard to set up, then you will be better off with a tent with connected pitches and poles.
How Light Is The Tent?
If you are thinking of buying a tent for backpacking, one designed for eight people just won’t meet the cut. Due to their large weight when folded down, these tents are great for car camping trips. You can also use them for camping in places that aren’t far away from your home. The lightest tents are those marked as family tents.
If you choose a cabin-style tent, then expect it to be quite heavy. In the review above, the lightest tent weighs 12 pounds while the heaviest is 80 pounds. As concerns the weight of a tent, the choice is yours to make.
What Is The Maximum Weight Inside?
On average, 8-person tents tend to have a larger interior height than the dome tents that accommodate fewer people. That’s because these tents have borrowed a lot from the dome tents and improved on the height.
Most of the 8-person tents have they interior heights listed. Only that this refers to the distance between the floor and the highest center point. It doesn’t refer to the ceiling height for the whole tent. The only way you can get a consistent height is if you have a rectangular tent. With a high enough rectangular tent, it is much easier for you to walk inside.
What Other Features Should An 8-Person Tent Have?
Apart from what we have discussed so far, an 8-person tent should have additional features. When all of the key features fall into place, you can be sure that you have a good 8-person tent, regardless of the brand. Among the most important include the following:
- Front Porch: There are a number of tents that come with an additional covered area. On some of them, it is known as a screen room or an extension to the main sleeping area. To avoid being bit by mosquitoes and other bugs, you can sit in the screen room when you want to relax. Others may have nothing but an extended flap. Here you can safely store some of your gear or use it as a porch where you can relax. It doesn’t matter if the sun is up or if it is raining. The flap will completely keep out the elements.
- Room Dividers: Most 8-person tents cover massive areas that may require partitioning. That’s where room dividers come in. Using these pieces, you can divide the tent into two. If you have the whole of your family with you, the children can sleep on one side and the adults on the other. The thing with room dividers is that they are the best when it comes to providing privacy. When you no longer need the partition, you can easily remove the room divider and keep it away. Some even come with tie backs to make it easy to remove the partition.
- Doors and Windows: Just like your home, 8-person tents need adequate ventilation and lighting. The best way to ensure that is through the provision or windows. As such, the tents usually have several windows all around them. The number of windows varies from one tent to another. While some tents have two windows, others may have a total of 12. Another important feature is the door. If it is capable of being partitioned, then the tent may even have two doorways.
How Much Does The Tent Cost?
You do not have to pay a premium price to buy an 8-person tent. With anything between $60 and $100, you can get a decent tent. Tents in this range come with lots of space in the interior and may have an extra door or front porch. But don’t expect the tents to have a lot of room. If you are willing to pay $100 to $200, you will get a wide variety of products.
Most of them will be simple to set up, have interior partitions, an extended rain flap, and a screen room. Most are made from highly-foldable polyester material. However, there are several models that cost more than $500. They are made from solid canvas and are larger and extremely easy to set up.
So, which 8-person tent are you going to buy? Is it a massive, strong canvas tent or a lightweight more affordable one? Having read the reviews above, you know what we are talking about. Which among the ten featured tents appeals to you the most? If you can’t make up your mind yet, then go through the buying guide again.
You should be able to learn a few things which only the experts understand. No matter how much you trust a certain brand, you need to be aware of the things that define an 8-inch tent.