So, you got your crew ready, all tools in place for that video shoot and everything going as planned, only to realize later that the footage is a bit shaky and can’t be used. Don’t worry — it happens and usually very frustrating. So, what can you do? Is there a solution for this? The simple answer is YES!
The secret of recording better content that’s more stable is not just getting the right DSLR camera — you also need to invest in a quality DSLR camera gimbal stabilizer. This device is designed to keep your camera stable to prevent shaky footage.
We are here to remove the trouble of browsing through a dozen options out of your way. We have researched on your behalf, selecting some of the best DSLR camera gimbal stabilizers for your need so that you can become the pro you are in video shooting. Let us take you step by step for that right fit.
Top 10 DSLR Camera Gimbal Stabilizers of 2019 Reviewed
1. Fantaseal 4-in-1 DSLR Mirrorless Action Camera + Camcorder + Smartphone StabilizerBest
for Low Position Video
The Fantaseal DSLR Camera Stabilizer works with action cameras, compact cameras, DV as well as DSLR cameras. It is ideal for shooting low lying images and videos. The next time you are taking micro shoots or images with moving scenes, use this stabilizer. For improved image quality, the device has a tripod adapter for attaching LED lights, flashes or video lights. When shooting in dim conditions, this feature really comes in handy. Importantly, you can improve the sound quality of your videos by attaching a microphone to the tripod adapter.
In this era of mobile telephony, you need a stabilizer than has the ability to hold your cell phone. This device does just that, thanks to the anti-loose clamp. There is no easier way to convert your cell phone into an HD monitor when shooting sports videos. This universal stabilizer works with all the major camera brands including Xiaomi Yi, Sony, Garmin Verb XE, and GoPro. It is the best device when shooting HD and 4K videos for surfing, biking, snowboarding, motor racing, skiing, and other extreme sports.
This device is designed for the professional cameraman. It features a shock-proof, lightweight EVA handle which when combined with the C-shaped design provides sure grip and comfort for prolonged use.
- Sure-grip handle for easy carrying
- Suitable for shooting with a cellphone camera
- Does not require a battery
- Some users have found it to be weak and easy to break
- Tends to wobble a lot
- Does not take mobile phones with their cases
2. Zhiyun Crane Plus (Official) 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer for DSLR and Mirrorless CamerasBest 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer
Even though the Zhiyun Crane 2 handheld gimbal was a game-changer when it was launched, its newest version is something else. It combines the features of the Crane 2 and the original Crane. Since it is a third-generation gimbal, it has additional features such as the 45-degree POV mode. In simple terms, the POV makes it possible for the camera to tilt and follow your direction. Unlike the previous versions, the Crane Plus also has a feature that allows you to track objects using an app on your phone.
For all DSLR and mirrorless cameras weighing a maximum of 2,500 grams, this is the best gimbal. Crane Plus has a premium feel about it, given that it made from long-lasting material. The package includes 2 batteries, a USB cable, a charger, a mini tripod, and two cables one for Panasonic and the other for SONY. When recording anything, don’t forget to use the tripod to balance the camera.
You can choose between modes such as 360-degree recording and time-lapse. If you are a vlogger, you can easily make stable videos using the selfie mode. On App, it is possible to create slow motions for your videos. What more could you ask for?
- The gimbal is lightweight and easy to carry
- Has some of the latest features for advanced video shooting
- The package includes the necessary accessories
- Not fully compatible with DSLR cameras
- Not suitable for cameras with long lenses
3. Zeadio Video Action Stabilizing Handheld StabilizerBest Handheld Stabilizer with Hot-Shoe Mount
If you know how hard it is to find an affordable camera stabilizer with the ability to carry any camcorder or DSLR camera you will appreciate this device. Apart from being able to minimize camera shake, it can shoot at extremely low angles. With its standard ¼ – 20 thread interface, the Zeadio Video Action Stabilizing Handheld Stabilizer works with a variety of cameras.
It is a handheld gimbal stabilizer that weighs a paltry 1 pound. With such a lightweight stabilizer, you will find it very convenient to use. The handle is sturdy enough to enable you to take action shots at the most difficult angles. At the top of this stabilizer is a hot shoe mount stabilizer which is capable of accommodating a video light, flashlight or microphone.
The stabilizer is ideal for shooting in extreme sports situations such as skiing, snowboarding, hunting, surfing, biking, motor racing, rollerblading, and skateboarding. It has a sturdy handle that captures shots even at the most difficult angles. For videos of the highest quality, you can mount the stabilizer on a dolly or tripod.
- A lightweight stabilizer that’s comfortable to use
- Works with a variety of cameras with a ¼ -20 thread interface
- Has a hot shoe mount for microphone, flashlights, and video lights
- Some DSLR cameras may not fit into it
- Parts may fall off without much of a warning
- Some cameras tend to wobble
4. The Official Roxant Pro Video Camera StabilizerBest
with Low Profile Handle
One thing about handheld stabilizers is that they tend to be a little bit shaky. Not so for the Roxant Pro Video Camera Stabilizer, whose construction and design eliminates unnecessary shake and motion. This is made possible by the lower arm which is essentially non-slip. Once you hold it in your hands, it will remain stable for the entire period of the shooting.
It accommodates an array of devices including smartphones, GoPros, video cameras, DSLRs, as well as point and shoot devices. For as long as a camera weighs a maximum of 2.1 pounds, it will work perfectly with this stabilizer. For easy stabilization, this device is designed to provide a lower center of balance. Those times when the hand becomes a little bit shaky will hardly be noticeable.
This stabilizer is ideal in high-octane shooting situations such as when walking, skating, running or inside a moving car. You will also get smooth videos through crowds, on stairs or other tight spaces. Whether you are an amateur cameraman or an indie movie maker, this stabilizer will take your profession to another level.
- Has no-slip grip for zero lower arm swing
- Great for taking shots in tight spaces and situations
- Comes with a lifetime email support
- Easy to balance
- Holding the stabilizer for prolonged periods of time may cause fatigue
- You may have to watch a video from the manufacturer to know how to balance it
5. ULANZI U-Grip Pro Handheld Video Rig SteadicamBest Gimbal Stabilizer with Triple Cold Shoe
Everyone who takes photos or videos of any form, whether using a DSLR camera, camcorder, smartphone or GoPro sports camera needs a reliable stabilizer. The good news is that the ULANZI U-Grip Pro Handheld Video Rig Steadicam can accommodate all of those devices and more. Not only will your videos be stable but they will also look professional no matter your level of photography skills.
Unlike other stabilizers which feature only one shoe mount, this particular one has three of them. As such, you can attach your photo flash, microphone, and video light, all at the same time. Basically, you have no room to compromise on the quality of your photos and videos. The sound quality will also be 100 percent assured.
But just how does this stabilizer work? The updated version of the ULANZI U-Grip Pro Handheld Video Rig Steadicam is made of high-quality, impact absorbent ABS plastic. It is the perfect support for low angle shots for phone filmmakers, wedding video makers, action video, and vlogging. In the ever-expanding video tutorial industry, this Steadicam will come in handy.
- Comes with three shoe mounts
- The standard ¼ -20 thread accommodates a variety of activities
- A multi-functional camera stabilizer
- Cameras with battery grips will not fit
- May not hold the iPhone 7 Plus
- Has a light plastic that looks like it might break without a warning
6. Hohem Water Splash Proof GoPro Gimbal Handheld StabilizerBest Handheld Stabilizer for Action Camera
The Hohen Water Splash Proof GoPro Gimbal Handheld Stabilizer is a game-changer when it comes to sports photography. It features some of the newest technologies such as face & object tracking, auto optical speed, auto motion speed, CCD anti-shake, and triple high torque brushless motors. Let’s talk about the face and object tracking which ensure you do not miss whatever you are trying to shoot. It has the ability to quickly respond to the slightest movement so that you do not lose any shots. Importantly, the gimbal ensures some of the most amazing scene transition ever witnessed in the photography world.
It operates on a rechargeable 4000mAh battery which you must ensure is recharged before using it again. When fully charged, the battery can last for a maximum of 12 hours. With that, you can go through an entire shooting session with the need to recharge the battery.
If you have an iPhone or an android phone, you can connect to the gimbal through an app. With a Bluetooth connection, you do not need cables. However, the app is only compatible with Android OS from 4.5 and above. For iOS users, you need a system that’s 9.0 and above.
- Has a long battery life
- Allows for Bluetooth connectivity with your phone via an app
- Highly sensitive motion sensors to ensure you do not miss any shot
- The noisy gimbal motor may affect your sound quality
- Some users have complained about the stabilizer turning off without a warning
7. Feiyu G6 Plus 3-Axis Portable Handheld Gimbal StabilizerBest 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
Feiyu has been in the business of manufacturing top of the range stabilizers for years now. Like the previous models, the Feiyu G6 Plus 3-Axis Portable Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer has an amazingly durable built. It has a metallic body, which is designed to last long. In addition to being strongly built, the buttons are also super responsive.
This stabilizer supports a wide range of cameras including the GoPro, pocket video camera, and mobile phones. So you basically have no excuse about not going ahead with your video shoot. It comes with a 5000 mAh battery, which provides a maximum of 12 hours runtime. If you have a long shooting session, that should be enough to take you to the end. However, you have to ensure you recharge the battery before the next shooting session.
One of the standout features of this device is Bluetooth as WiFi connectivity. It is possible to connect to a WiFi device and use it to control the major features of the camera. In other words, you get to control the shooting, zoom, follow focus, sensitivity adjustment, exposure value, white balance and other features of the camera remotely.
- Ability to accurately and quickly stabilize images
- Has both Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity
- The battery lasts up to 12 hours on a full charge
- Once it powers on, the motors tend to hang
- It is difficult to control it via the app
8. Zhiyun Crane V2 Handheld Gimbal StabilizerBest Handheld Stabilizer for Mirrorless DSLR
When it comes to DSLR and mirrorless cameras, the Zhiyun Crane V2 Handheld Gimbal stabilizer is one of the best. Thanks to its diverse controls, affordable price, and flexible design, this stabilizer is suitable for both the amateur and professional filmmakers. It can carry a camera that weighs anything between 0.77 and 3.96 pounds. Examples include the Panasonic Lumix, Sony a7, Nikon J Series, and Canon M Series. If you are serious with videography, this is the stabilizer to buy.
It weighs only 5.1 pounds, thanks to the fact that it is made of a lightweight aluminum alloy. But that is not all. The gimbal is packed with 2 heavy-duty lithium-ion batteries which keep working nonstop for up to 12 hours. If you want extended shooting time, you can simply buy additional batteries. If you intend to do a one-hand operation, this is the gimbal for you.
With a dedicated app installable on iOS and Android, you can easily pair this stabilizer with any smartphone and then remotely control its features. You will like the fact that it comes with tool-less screws which help balance the camera.
- Allows for 360-degree rotation on three axes
- You can adjust from one mode to another by pressing a button
- Possible to operate the camera remotely via Bluetooth
- Prone to constant shaking
- Some people have complained about difficulty in using the app
9. FLYCAM HD-3000 24”/60cm Micro Balancing Handheld Steadycam StabilizerBest Micro Balancing Stabilizer
Among the handheld stabilizers, the FLYCAM HD-3000 is perhaps the best. Its advanced features make it possible for you to produce smooth, professional footage. With the micro balancing capabilities, the stabilizer ensures that you are able to easily and precisely balance your camera. On top of the gimbal is a ¼ -20 connectors for holding most camera types.
The 3-axis gimbal is held up by a handgrip with a foam cushion to provide both comfort and perfect grip. That way, it is easier to move it side to side or up and down. The central post is tool-less, telescopic, and with the ability to rise to a height of up to 60 cm. The minimum height stands at 40 cm.
This is a lightweight, highly-mobile stabilizer suitable for people who like shooting in the outdoors. It is capable of holding camcorders and DSLR cameras of a maximum of 3.5 kg or 8 pounds. The package comes with 3/8”-16 and ¼ -20 screws for mounting. You will also get a protective foam-padded carrier bag for improved mobility.
- The handle has a cushion for comfortable handling
- Comes with a foam-padded bag
- Relies on the micro balancing technique for ultra-precision
- Some users have found the table clip to be difficult to use
- Heavy to carry
10. Handheld DSLR Stabilizer, Sevenoak SK-W08 Video Mini Grip GimbalBest Mini Grip Gimbal for Gopro
Some of the best Gimbal stabilizers are handheld and the Sevenoak SK-W08 falls squarely in that category. It is a lightweight aluminum construction which you can easily hold in your hands and get the best shots of your career. Whether you are taking wedding videos or filming a baseball game, this stabilizer works perfectly. Among the professionals that will find this stabilizer highly functional are those in the vlogging industry.
It is designed to carry compact camcorders as well as mirrorless cameras. Unlike other heavy-duty stabilizers, this can only carry up to 1.5 pounds in camera weight. It also has the ability to hold any mobile device to a maximum width of 9 cm or 3.5 inches. You will find this stabilizer very useful when it comes to enabling shake-free shots and videos.
The makers of this gimbal have put in place an attractive 1-year warranty just in case your device malfunctions. However, given the durable construction, you may never have to take advantage of the warranty.
- Comes with a padded hand grip for extra comfort
- Easy and quick to mount
- A multi-functional stabilizer
- May not accommodate the larger cameras
- Does not support DSLR cameras
How to Choose the Best DSLR Camera Gimbal Stabilizer – Buying Guide
Whether you prefer to call the gimbals, stabilizers or Steadicams, these devices are essential for all amateur and professional photographers or videographers. They are key to the production of high-quality videos that are devoid of blur or shake. But you cannot pick just any gimbal stabilizer and think it will provide the results you are looking for. You have to carefully study the features of a given stabilizer to know if it will work for you. The following are some of the things to consider before settling on a particular camera stabilizer.
There are three main types of camera stabilizers, the handheld stabilizer, 3-axis gimbal, and vest stabilizer. Here is a detailed look at each of these types of camera stabilizers.
- Handheld Stabilizers: From its name, this is a stabilizer you use by holding in your hands. Unlike the other devices which rely on 3-axis gimbals or a vest, you simply mount the camera and take hold of the handle. It is usually more affordable and relies on the ability of the cameraman to hold it.
- 3-Axis Gimbals: If you are looking for a stabilizer that will make automatic adjustments on the basis of gravity to provide stable footage devoid of human error. The most common models using the 3-axis gimbal are powered by rechargeable batteries. Even though automatic, you need about 15 minutes to mount and balance the gimbal. With advanced technology, several manufacturers have released an auto-balance feature which removes the need for human involvement.
- Vest Stabilizers: Vest stabilizers are by their nature multi-faceted. They have weighted sleds, multi-axis gimbals, iso-elastic arms, springs, and vest attachments. These stabilizers are not for the amateurs but are suitable for high-end cinematography. They can support a wide range of cameras.
Since you will be using the stabilizer with a camera, you cannot ignore this factor. After all, you need to ensure that the camera and stabilizer work in tandem with one another. There are some stabilizers which only work with the lighter cameras while others can carry the heavier ones. Others may support a wide array of camera brands and models.
Although the weight of the camera really matters, it is not always the most important factor. Some cameras have long lens thus ending up too bulky for use with any kind of stabilizer. Such a camera might require a totally different set-up. So, only buy a stabilizer that will work with your camera.
If the stabilizer isn’t fully compatible with your current camera, it might be necessary to use accessories such as arm extensions. Others include spare batteries which enhance the experience you will have with your camera. If the requisite accessories are available, then go ahead and buy the stabilizer even if it does not fully match with your camera.
Things to Be Extra Careful About
Buy a gimbal is much more than just going to a shop and picking one. Here are some of the things you need to be extra careful about.
Stabilizers are meant to be carried from one shooting location to another. If you choose a heavy gimbal, just how are you going to carry it around once the camera is mounted? The good thing is that most of the camera stabilizers on the market are made to be light. However, there are others which weigh 10 pounds and may escalate to 14 pounds once the camera is mounted. Can you see my point? Buy something you can easily carry.
One thing you will keep reading about on your search for the perfect camera stabilizer is the balance. This is more important than considerations such as weight. Make sure you understand the extent to which it will balance your camera and the ease with which it will do it. the main reason to buy a balanced stabilizer is that it is easy to use, thus likely to serve you well.
You are likely to come across some stabilizers which do not use batteries. However, a majority of the stabilizers require batteries to run the brushless motors. Some models use the standard rechargeable alkaline batteries while others have the modern lithium-ion batteries. It is not the type of battery that matters. The most important factor should be the ease of charging as well as battery life. For most of the models on the market, battery life does not go beyond 12 hours.
The market is full of stabilizers designed for nothing but action cameras or smartphones. These aren’t that versatile. However, DSLR gimbals should, of necessity, have the ability to accommodate different cameras in terms of size and weight. They should also be able to work for people with different shooting styles. Mostly, the gimbal stabilizers are set-up in a lot of different ways to take care of the variety of shooting styles. If you do your shooting in varied situations, choose a highly versatile gimbal.
We are already in the age of electronic gimbals and most of these rely on some form of software to operate. Some even have dedicated app downloadable for iOS and well as Android devices. They have either Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity which makes them easier to use. All one needs to do is control the functions of the camera from a mobile device. That’s why you should carefully consider the software before investing in a camera stabilizer.
While it may sound obvious, price if perhaps the most important factor when it comes to buying a gimbal. The market has some cheap models as well as expensive ones. What I would advise you is to work within your budget. Determine how much money you are willing to spend and pick several models within that price range. Next, compare the devices in terms of the key features. If you find one that looks like the stabilizer you are looking for, buy it. Not only will you to get value in terms of the money spent but also the functionality.
For you to hold your camera stably at a given angle, you need a gimbal. You may want to choose any of the 10 models discussed above or to look elsewhere. If you choose the second option, then our detailed buying guide should be of help. Whatever the case, buy a camera stabilizer by all means. You will never go wrong with it.