Electric skateboards are the new cool, with many brands coming up to make high-tech options for the market. The interesting thing is that this new tech with skateboards didn’t start recently — in 1997, California saw the first electrical skateboard enter the market, but there were a few concerns. Firstly, the skateboard suffered insufficient torque and a limited range.
Over time, manufacturers went back to the drawing board, something that has seen the electric skateboard improve immensely. In 2006, the technology evolved, seeing these boards come with high torque and so much power that they become viable commercial products.
Whether you are looking for the best electric skateboard to cruise your campus or just one to rise during those lazy weekend afternoons at the park, we can help you find the right one for your needs. We have done the research on your behalf, narrowing down some great options to ensure you get the right fit. And yes, we also have a few points that you should keep in mind as you begin your shopping.
Top 10 Electric Skateboards of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 10 Electric Skateboards of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. RIMABLE Complete 22 Inches Skateboard
- 2. SKATEBOLT Electric Skateboard Longboard with Remote Controller
- 3. BLITZART Huracane 38-Inch Electric Skateboard Electronic Longboard
- 4. RazorX Electric Skateboard
- 5. elos Skateboard Complete Lightweight – Mini Longboard Cruiser
- 6. Evolve Skateboard Bamboo GTX Street Electric Skateboard
- 7. Boosted Mini X Electric Skateboard
- 8. Teamgee H5 37-Inch Electric Skateboard
- 9. Spadger D5X-Plus Electric Skateboard
- 10. BACKFIRE New G2 Electric Longboard 2019
- How to Choose the Best Electric Skateboard – Buying Guide
1. RIMABLE Complete 22 Inches SkateboardBest Electric Skateboard Under $50
This skateboard is the product of RIMABLE, a Chinese brand that specializes in manufacturing toys, scooters, and skateboards. Its parent company is Yongkang Ydream Fitness Equipment Company Limited. When you buy the skateboard from Amazon, you will receive it fully assembled. With that, you will be ready to start skating from the get-go.
The skateboard deck measures 22 inches by 6 inches. It is suitable for young people who appreciate things in a variety of colors. If you are looking for a way to have a good time in a skate park or university campus, buy this board. They are perfect for riding either with shoes or barefoot. For young people who find walking strenuous, this skateboard will come in handy. Since the weight capacity is up to 198 pounds, this board is great for children and adults.
A 3-inch thick aluminum truck, the skateboard also has a deck made of 100 percent fresh material. It is the perfect accessory for a family outing on a Saturday afternoon. The PU wheels are powered by smooth bearings to give you the ride of your lifetime.
- An affordable skateboard
- Composed of high-quality aluminum material
- Equipped with smooth wheels and high-speed bearings
- A pleasant design on the overall
- May not glide far enough
- Likely to break after a few rounds of skating
- Only available on Amazon
2. SKATEBOLT Electric Skateboard Longboard with Remote ControllerBest Electric Skateboard with Wireless Remote
While designing this skateboard, Skatebolt must have had in mind the playful adults looking for alternative means of transport. On a fully-charged battery, the board is capable of moving a maximum distance of 18.6 miles at a top speed of 25 miles per hour. You may ride it on a flat surface of or a hill with a maximum slope of 25 degrees.
The board itself is composed of eight layers of sturdy maple, which is strong enough to carry a maximum weight of 280 pounds. Since much of the pressure will rest on the skateboard, the wheels are spaced widely for a stable, smooth ride. When you go riding on a busy road, the two taillights will blink on the application of brakes to warn the vehicles behind you.
All the operations of the skateboard are done using the remote controller. Simply hang it on fingering and get going. Some of the remote-controlled functions include checking battery capacity, applying brakes, controlling the speed, and turning on the taillight. It literally gives you full control of your movement.
- Goes up to 18.6 miles before recharging
- Has dual motors to navigate the harshest terrains
- Most of its functions are remote-controlled
- It contains a lithium-ion battery which isn’t allowed on a plane
- The battery may get unscrewed with time
- Tends to stop rather abruptly
3. BLITZART Huracane 38-Inch Electric Skateboard Electronic LongboardBest Electric Skateboard with High Range and Speed
With a maximum speed of 17 MPH, the Blitzart Huracane 38-inch electric skateboard is a monster when it comes to moving you from one point on a street to another. On a full charge, the board can take you a distance of between 6 and 8 miles. If your place of work is nearby, this board is enough to carry you to and fro on your daily commute.
Don’t worry about shifting gears or using one of your feet to gain momentum. This remote-controlled electric skateboard requires no effort to move. With the aid of the remote controller, you can easily increase or decrease your speed. Just in case you have to go back for something, just toggle the reverse function. The remote controller is ergonomically designed to remain in your hands even while on the move.
Apart from the 7-ply maple the board has two bamboo layers on the bottom. The board is definitely sturdy and flexible at the same time. But it does not stop at supporting a weight of up to 250 pounds. The grip tape on the deck ensures that your feet are firmly held in place.
- More affordable than similar products
- Has grip tape to keep you firmly on the board
- A dedicated lithium-ion battery that charges in just 3 hours
- The wheels are thin and nimble
- Unlike similar boards, it moves for up to 8 miles on a full charge
- May stop responding and get stuck at top speed
4. RazorX Electric SkateboardBest Electric Skateboard with In-Ground Gripping
Ever felt like hitting the road as soon as you receive a new electric skateboard? No need to worry. The RazorX Electric Skateboard is delivered to you in a fully-assembled form so you can start riding as soon as you remove it from the box. You will cruise to a maximum speed of 10 MPH or 16 km/h for a maximum of 40 minutes. After that, you will have to recharge the battery.
The high-quality board is made from 5-ply bamboo with perforated grip tape for a controlled, smooth ride. For those in the know, bamboo is a sturdy, durable material that will not break under pressure. No doubt the board can support a maximum weight of 220 pounds. With a maximum length of 375 inches, the board is suitable for anyone nine years or older.
At the rear of the board is a 125-watt motor which ensures proper alignment when riding. The wheels are made of ground-gripping urethane to keep you grounded all the time. It is easier to turn the board, thanks to the inverse kingpin trucks. You can choose between a belt or chain when you go to buy this skateboard.
- Has an affordable price
- Works great as a play toy for kids
- Made of durable bamboo
- It charges for a minimum of 8 hours
- Likely to break after a short while
- Has a very poor battery life
5. elos Skateboard Complete Lightweight – Mini Longboard CruiserBest Mini Electric Skateboard
The elos Skateboard Complete Lightweight is just that. It weighs a paltry 4 pounds and measures 18 inches. That makes it easy to carry in a backpack once you arrive at your destination. You could also hang it on a table counter in the office or coffee shop. If you are a beginner, this board is stable enough to support you. For the pros, this board is easy to control even at the sharpest corners. All these thanks to the skateboard’s low center of gravity.
Unless you like walking, this skateboard is a must if you want a smooth ride on your daily commute. With four proprietary wheels supporting the lightweight board, you have no reason to travel in any other way. The board itself is made from high-quality materials. You can be sure of maintaining maximum stability, thanks to a dedicated steering wheel.
There is no point in buying a skateboard that’s going to last only for a short while. The board features a maple deck and a metal bumper to keep it going for longer. For enhanced night safety, the skateboard comes with onboard reflective trucks.
- A lightweight portable skateboard
- Stability is enhanced using the high-quality steering wheel
- Balance enhanced thanks to the strong deck
- Easy to pack and carry after riding
- Has plastic parts which could be fragile
- Screws stick out of the surface and could hurt you
6. Evolve Skateboard Bamboo GTX Street Electric SkateboardBest High Speed Electric Skateboard
The Evolve Skateboard is designed for riding both on smooth and rough surfaces. It can maneuver all tarmac, bitumen or concrete surfaces. With a maximum speed of 26 MPH, the skateboard can move up to a maximum of 18.5 miles on rough terrain and 31 miles on smooth surfaces. Of course, you don’t have to move at the maximum speed, do you?
Other factors affecting how far you can move include your weight, speed mode, and riding style. But even with that, this model outperforms similar skateboards by a huge margin. It is not like some other skateboards which only move on flat, smooth surfaces. With the Evolve Skateboard, you can easily cruise uneven terrains including short grass.
Steer the skateboard using the remote controller and smoothly accelerate and brake as you cover distance. It comes with a digital LCD screen to give you metrics such as board diagnostics, distance, and speed. Depending on how fast you intend to move, you can pick any of the four-speed modes: Slow, ECO, Fast or GT. You don’t have to go fast if you can’t manage it.
- Has one of the best speeds
- Comfortable to ride
- Comes with an ergonomically designed controller
- Automatically goes into the eco mode when the battery is low
- It is heavier than comparable skateboards
- Has a heavy lithium-ion battery which is not allowed on a plane
- Can be damaged when splashed with water
7. Boosted Mini X Electric SkateboardBest Lightweight Mini Electric Skateboard
The first-generation Boosted Mini X Electric Skateboard compares favorably with some of the best in this category. It can cruise to the top speed of up to 20 MPH to enable you to cover the distance within the shortest time possible. At that kind of speed, the skateboard is no respecter for steep hills. You can use it on your daily commute to and from work without much of a hassle.
It runs on a 1000-watt motor, which is three times more powerful than some of the skateboards featured above. With three ride modes, you can fine-tune your speed to your needs and riding capabilities. But that’s not the best feature of this skateboard, whose braking system is regenerative. In simple terms, every time you apply brakes, you generate energy, which is then stored in the battery. For instance, moving from 20 MPH to 5 MPH creates the power to return. From 5 MPH to 0 MPH, the skateboard goes into energy reuse. When riding uphill, the board takes you further.
The controller is great, especially in suburban terrain. It has the ability to cover up to 14 miles on a fully-charged battery. When empty, it will take 1 hour 45 minutes to recharge the battery.
- The grip tape stays strong for longer
- Has a top speed of 20 MPH
- The regenerative braking system takes you further
- A weak drive belt requiring replacement every 100 miles
- Some user have complained about receiving damaged boards
- The price is a little on the higher side
8. Teamgee H5 37-Inch Electric SkateboardBest Electric Longboards for Street Ride
Unlike other skateboards on which the battery is attached on the underside, this product has its battery integrated into the board. Because of that, it is thick 10-ply maple wood and 1-ply fiberglass affair which essentially makes it sturdy and durable. It measures 37 inches long and 8.7 inches wide. With a maximum weight of 14.5 pounds, this skateboard provides a low center of gravity for extra stability. The board can carry a weight of up to 200 pounds, which makes it suitable for use by both the kids and adults.
If you need to move quickly on whichever terrain, the two 380-watt motors will do the trick. The board is capable of cruising to a maximum speed of 22 MPH, which is comparable to some of the best electric skateboards. This can take you upward a hill with little sweat. The maximum speed range for this skateboard is between 9 and 11 miles.
Since it is not a vehicle, don’t expect this board to have a steering wheel. Rather, it comes with a dedicated remote controller with an LCD screen. Using the remote controller, you can reduce or increase the speed, turn, and even reverse the skateboard.
- Has a regenerative braking system to keep you going for longer
- The battery holds in place since it is integrated into the board
- An 11-ply, durable deck
- The weight capacity is lower than average
- The battery runs out after eight hours of no operation
- The stiff deck has no room for bending
9. Spadger D5X-Plus Electric SkateboardBest Heavy Duty Electric Skateboards
With a maximum speed of 23 MPH, the Spadger D5X-Plus Electric Skateboard is one of the fastest on the market today. On a fully-charged battery, you can ride this skateboard for up to 12 miles. That should be enough to get you to your place of work and back. It contains a lithium-ion battery with a 36V 4.0Ah capacity. To recharge it, you need between 2 and 3 hours. That’s something you can easily do at home or in the office.
It runs on two 450-watt motors, which at a total capacity of 900 watts gives exceptional performance. In fact, that’s why you can easily ride on any kind of terrain. You may include on your list inclines, cracked pavements, grass patches, potholes, and smooth gravel driveways.
Unlike the common wooden decks, this particular one stands out for combining lead, seagrass, and polycarbonate. The result is a shock-proof, explosion-proof, fire-proof, and flexible deck. Not forgetting that it also looks super cool. With this skateboard, you get nothing but value for money. It allows you to choose between different modes of speed depending on your riding ability and personal preference. Importantly, it is Bluetooth enabled.
- Has one of the highest maximum speeds
- A powerful skateboard that can cruise any type of terrain
- A super cool deck design
- The running range is rather short
- Some users have complained about one of the speed modes not working properly
10. BACKFIRE New G2 Electric Longboard 2019Best Electric Skateboards with High Range
When buying an electric skateboard, most people look at the performance. They forget that the construction quality is also important. The BACKFIRE New G2 Electric Longboard stands out in terms of quality as well as performance. With a maximum speed of 38 MPH, this is perhaps the fastest electric skateboard out there. The super-flexible deck is suitable for riding on any type of terrain. It literally flies up a 25-degree incline absorbing vibrations and shocks for a fearless, hassle-free ride.
The motors and tires are replaceable. For the wheels, you can choose between the red of black colors. Importantly, the ability to replace tires and motors makes this a low-maintenance electric motor. For other brands, you will have to replace the whole board with a new one. That will cost you tons of money.
This skateboard packs Caliber-II 50-Degree Trucks, which ensure smooth high-speed riding and high-quality carving performance. Overall, the riding experience is very stable. The skateboard has a maximum weight capacity of 250 pounds, which makes it ideal for both adult and child riders. It has a sports mode which is capable of covering 12 miles on full charge. The eco mode, on the other hand, has a riding range of up to 15.5 miles.
- A solid, durable construction
- A portable skateboard, given its weight and size
- Fast and responsive when riding
- The board is inflexible
- It takes longer to charge the battery
- Has only two-speed modes
How to Choose the Best Electric Skateboard – Buying Guide
The popularity of electric skateboards has been on a steady rise in the last few years. With the promise of moving between two points at speeds of 25 MPH or more, an electric skateboard is a game-changer. You don’t have to exert yourself to ride one. That’s because each unit is equipped with an electric motor, rechargeable battery, and remote controller. But these are the only common features of electric skateboards. Before choosing a specific skateboard, there are several things you must put into consideration. In this write-up, we provide a comprehensive guide on choosing the best electric skateboard.
Things to Be Super-Attentive To
- Brand. There are many brands of electric skateboards. However, some are very unreliable and must be avoided.
- Recall history. What’s the history of recalls of electrical part and motors involving that particular brand.
- Average lifespan. You don’t expect an electric board to last forever. However, some last longer than others.
- Customer support. Like any other machine, an electric skateboard is likely to develop mechanical problems. How easy is it for you to get help from the manufacturers?
- Warranty. Does the skateboard come with the guarantee of repair or replacement when it develops issues?
- Value. This is not about the cost of the skateboard. Rather, it is the benefit you get from using the board. Does it add value to your life?
- Maneuverability. Electric skateboards come with remote controllers to ease the maneuverability. How will you ride something you cannot control?
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Electric Skateboard
Quality of Wheels
Don’t buy a skateboard with just ant wheels. Quality wheels ensure better performance in terms of handling, speed, feel of the ride. When choosing a skateboard, look at the softness or hardness of the wheels. Soft wheels work well on tough, rough terrains and surfaces since they have a predictable slide, more grip, and rolling capacity. On the other hand, harder wheels have less grip and work well on flat, smooth surfaces. They roll faster than their soft counterparts.
Battery and Battery Life
Most electric skateboards are powered by the lighter rechargeable lithium-ion batteries and not lead-acid ones which are heavier. But not all lithium-ion batteries have premium capabilities. Some have long lifetimes while others do not. On average, a lithium-ion battery will last through 1000 recharge cycles.
Importantly, pay attention to battery life, especially if you hope to ride long distances. The best way to assess the battery life is to consider the number of miles you can cover with the skateboard on full charge. This is bearing in mind that different riding environments affect battery life in different ways. Regardless of the terrain, anything above 7 miles is great.
The size of the electric skateboard matters for the simple reason that it has an impact on the handling. When combined with your height and grip, the size of the board determines how easily you can handle it. For example, mini boards aren’t suitable for taller guys. You can choose between the mini-board, mid-board, and full board. The mini board is 3 feet 5 inches long and is suitable for shoe-size 4 or higher. At 4 feet, 5 inches long, the mid-board is suitable for shoe-size 7 or higher. The last is the full board which is 5 feet 3 inches long and suitable for a shoe-size 9 and above.
The power of an electric motor is measured in terms of watts. At a higher wattage, a motor can drive the board through rough terrain and steep hills. Some electric skateboards even have two motors. But speed has nothing to do with the wattage. What matters is the gear ratio. When picking a board on the basis of the wattage, also consider the speed so as not to be disappointed.
Ability to Climb Hills
This depends on how you intend to use the skateboard. If you live in a hilly country and you still want to easily move around, buy a skateboard with the power and speed to do just that. Every model comes with a vivid description of the hill gradients they can climb. Commonly, the most powerful skateboards can conquer hill of up to 25 percent incline.
Without a properly working braking system, you are likely to get involved in all kinds of freak accidents. For safe riding, the braking system must work to perfection. The best is the regenerative braking system which extends your riding time. It redirects energy to a resister which dissipates it as heat which in turn recharges the battery. With that, the battery stays with power for longer. For optimal safety, you might want to choose an electric skateboard with both the dynamic and regenerative braking system. As soon as the battery fills up, the dynamic braking system will kick in.
The Number and Types of Riding Modes
The number and types of riding modes vary from one product to another. While the lowest number of modes is 2, the highest is 5. It can be any combination of the Slow, ECO, Fast, GT, and Sports modes. As such, you can know the mode to choose as a beginner or professional rider. Usually, these mods are controlled by a wireless remote controller. The modes will work well only if the signal from the remote controller is functioning properly.
On average, electric skateboards weigh anything between 12 pounds and 16 pounds. They are deliberately designed to be easy to carry to the office and back. You can easily through your board into a backpack and get going. The weight of the skateboard also determines its cost. As such, lightweight skateboards tend to cost less than their heavier counterparts.
While this is an important consideration, very few electric skateboards are created to be water-resistant. Of course, most of these skateboards have water-resistant decks. It is the ability to keep water away from the electric parts that really matter. As such, some skateboards are only suitable for riding in dry conditions. If you buy such a board, avoid water by all means. Otherwise, you will tamper with the electric part of the board.
Electric skateboards are made from different types of materials. The most common are the ones made from layers of maple wood. Other common materials include bamboo, fiberglass, lead, seagrass, and polycarbonate. But the board is not all there is to a good skateboard. The housing of the battery and electric components also matters. Between plastic and stainless steel, the latter is better.
You will find electric skateboards in prices ranging from the lowest to the highest. That’s why it is important to thoroughly assess a skateboard before buying it. Take a look at the reviews above together with the buying guide before settling on a specific electric skateboard. Don’t dwell on the price so much. Rather, consider how enjoyable your riding experience is going to be.