What is the one thing you hate about slicing onions? The crying, right? You are not alone. Culinary experts will tell you that onions – and lots of them are the foundation of any great meal. However, this important ingredient produces a certain enzyme once you cut into it that activates lachrymal glands in your eyes making them tear up. It’s a defense mechanism of some sorts. That said, you don’t have to worry of crying a river every time you want to cook a great meal. By investing in an onion slicer, you will get to enjoy cutting onions in a fast, safe and tear-free way.
Onion slicers are simple to use and inexpensive making them a great addition to your collection of kitchen appliances. The gadget usually has sharp blades often made of stainless steel or ceramic and a specially designed surface to place the onion as you slice. It’s common to find an onion slicer that also acts as a vegetable slicer and cutter providing you with an all-round experience.
In this review we have brought you different types of onion slicers from manual to electric, commercial onion cutters to simple household gadgets. We will provide you with an in-depth look into the best onion slicers from top notch brands that will give you value for money and will last for years in your kitchen. We have also included a few tips on how to prep food quickly and in a hustle-free manner. Let’s get into it, shall we?
Top 9 Onion Slicers of 2020 Reviewed
1. Muller Austria Onion Chopper Pro[wt_products id=”4129″ template=”5″]
2. Tiabo 3 in 1 Onion Slicer[wt_products id=”4131″ template=”5″]
3. Fullstar Vegetable Chopper[wt_products id=”4133″ template=”5″]
4. Orblue Onion Holder and Slicer[wt_products id=”4135″ template=”5″]
5. LHS Pro Onion and Vegetable Chopper[wt_products id=”4137″ template=”5″]
6. Sedhoom 23 in 1 Vegetable Chopper and Onion Slicer[wt_products id=”4139″ template=”5″]
7. LNOCCIY Vegetable, Onion and Mandolin Slicer[wt_products id=”4141″ template=”5″]
8. Nemco 56750-2 Commercial Onion Slicer[wt_products id=”4165″ template=”5″]
9. MollyZillah Stainless Steel Onion[wt_products id=”4167″ template=”5″]
How to Choose The Best Onion Slicer- The Ultimate Buying Guide
Let’s face it- the worst thing about prepping an awesome meal is getting the onions ready. Not only does the process leave your hands smelly but can also be a very teary affair. However, you shouldn’t shy away from including this important ingredient into your meal due to its rather strenuous preparation procedure. By investing in a quality onion slicer you will say goodbye to watery eyes and smelly hands.
What makes you cry when peeling an onion?
Before giving you a few tips on how to choose the best onion slicer for your needs, let’s understand what makes your eyes watery as you peel these tasty ingredients. Once you cut into an onion, it releases a certain chemical, syn-propanethial-S-oxide, which then triggers the lachrymal glands in your eyes leading to production of tears. It’s a defense mechanism of some sorts.
Why Do You Need an Onion Slicer?
Other than making your onion slicing experience a less messy affair, onion cutters provide you with uniform and precise cuts quickly. Some come with a catch container that holds the onions as you slice keeping your kitchen counter clean and organized as you work. Some of the slicers also double up as vegetable slicers which provides you with a variety of uses helping you leave pleasant memories on anyone who tastes your meals.
How Do I Cut Onions without Shedding Tears?
Here are a few ways you can prevent your eyes from tearing up every time you cut an onion:
- Use a very sharp knife or an onion slicer with sharp blades – Doing so helps to quickly slice into the onion without producing a lot of the tear causing enzyme.
- Store the onion in the freezer for about fifteen minutes before slicing it – Doing so won’t affect the taste at all.
- Slice the onion under water – while this tactic is difficult to do since the onion keeps sliding out of your hands, it works.
- Slice the onion under a steam – You can do so as a kettle or cooking pot releases steam.
- Soak the onion in water – This may not work well if you are slicing onion rings but will reduce watery eyes.
There’s no denying that having an onion slicer will greatly improve your cooking experience. We hope that this review has provided you with an idea of how to go about getting an ideal onion cutter. So, more tears and sighs as you chop that onion.