Let’s be honest: cooking rice is an art. Sometimes you pick your rice very carefully, wash and rinse it well a few times, and ensure it has an airtight seal when cooking. But when it comes to examining the results, they are disappointing! At times the rice burns at the bottom; other times, it becomes a little too wet. We know how this feels, and that’s why we have come with a solution for you— a rice cooker!
If you are looking for an easy way to cook well-textured rice — you know, the kind you’d find in a world-class sushi restaurant, you will love what a rice cooker can offer you. All you need to do is purchase a quality model, measure out your rice, and pour the appropriate amount of water (there’s a line that shows you the levels), press some buttons, and sit back as the machine does the job for you. In other words, you set the machine and forget about your rice until it’s ready.
The best thing is that some rice cookers come with extra features that allow you to steam or cook other foods, in addition to rice. If you want to find out more, read on and see some of the best rice cookers in the market that you can get today!
Top 9 Rice Cookers of 2020 Reviewed
1. Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer
- Cooks other foods in addition to rice
- Cooks other foods in addition to rice
- The package includes several great accessories
- An expensive rice cooker
- It takes an hour to cook rice
- May not work well with long-grain rice
Best Rice Cooker and Warmer
What kind of rice cooker do you need? The Zojirushi NS-TSC10 is a high-quality, multi-purpose, and large capacity rice cooker. The built quality of this rice cooker is the best. When it comes to what you can cook this rice cooker, you basically have a long list. You can use it to steam meat, cook brown & white rice, and cook your vegetables. With this rice cooker, everything comes out perfectly. The quantity of uncooked rice cooker can hold is 5 ½ cups. As for the cooked rice, it can carry up to 10 cups.
It comes with several cooking functions, namely white rice, mixed rice, sushi, steaming, porridge, quick-cooking, as well as sweet and cake. Apart from simplifying your cooking, the cooker saves you effort and time. Thanks to the state-of-the-art technology used in this cooker, it will fine-tune the time and cooking temperature in life with the food you are preparing. When it comes to cooking rice, the device precisely times the pre-cooking period and the steaming time.
Additional features of this rice cooker include reheating cycles as well as extended and automatic keep warm. There are several accessories that come with the package including a spatula holder, spatula, and a cup for measuring rice. Past users of this rice cooker have found it to perfectly perform its tasks.
2. Instant Pot LUX Mini 3 Qt 6-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker
- High-pressure cooking takes less time
- A sturdy, durable rice cooker
- A simple, affordable
- You will take the time to learn how to use it
- Not very energy efficient
- The rice cooker has limited features
Best Rice Cooker Pressure Cooker Combo
Looking for a rice cooker that works almost the same way as your regular kitchen appliances? If so, go for the Instant Pot LUX Mini 3 Qt 6-in-1 Multi-Programmable Pressure Cooker. It is basically an entry-level rice cooker that comes with all the core features. Unlike your regular cooking appliances, this rice cooker is easy to use, convenient, and efficient. It has six basic cooking functions including rice cooker, pressure cooker, slow cooker, warmer, steamer, and sautéing tool.
You can use this cooker to prepare rice, poultry, beans, meat, multigrain, soup, and broth. So it is not just a rice cooker but can prepare a number of dishes too. With 7 preset temperatures, you can precisely time the cooker and ensure it produces great results.
It comes with a durable, easy-to-clean, stainless steel inner pot. Additionally, the exteriors are made of fingerprint-free stainless steel. The rice cooker comes with several safety features including anti-block shield, steam release, safety lid lock, overheat protection, electric fuse, thermal fuse, lid position detection, and leaky lid detection. With all of these features, you can be sure of the highest safety levels. With a capacity of 3 quarts, this rice cooker is the smallest when it comes to the Instant Pot LUX line of products. It is also the most affordable.
3. Proctor Silex 37534Nr Rice Cooker, 8 Cups Cooked, White
- It is extremely easy to use
- The components can be cleaned in the dishwasher
- Can be used to prepare huge family meals
- It doesn’t come with programmable capabilities
- The pan has no calibrations
- You cannot use any other cup than that included
Best Rice Cooker for Small Servings
If you are looking for a great rice cooker to add to your kitchen, the Proctor Silex 37534Nr is a must. You can use it to prepare huge amounts of rice, quickly. You don’t have to keep watching or stand next to it. What you get is a well-cooked dish of rice with minimal effort. Simply, scoop a maximum of 8 cups of rice, put it into the cooker with the right amount of water and press a button.
The reason it is able to perform well is its great features. For instance, it comes with an automatic keep-warm function that will keep your food warm for a maximum of 12 hours. Additionally, it has additional settings that make it possible for it to self-monitor. As you cook the rice, the auto functions of the cooker will kick into place until you get a well-cooked meal.
Like most of the other rice cookers, this particular one can also be used to cook other meals. Thus, you can use it to prepare cereals as well as hot grains. Importantly, it is extremely easy to clean. There is nothing special with the accessories, lid, and pot that would make them hard to clean. In fact, all of these items will come out of the dishwasher fully clean.
4. Cuisinart CRC-400 Rice Cooker, 4-Cup, Silver
- Great for cooking more than just rice
- The pot and its accessories are easy to clean
- The package includes several accessories
- The cooker may spill over when filled to capacity
- Gets too faulty to cook rice
- The company has very poor customer service
Best Stainless Steel Rice Cooker
One thing you should consider when looking for a rice cooker is what it can actually do. It shouldn’t just be an appliance for cooking rice but should also be capable of handling other dishes. The Cuisinart CRC-400 is great for steaming veggies, meat, polenta, oatmeal, shrimp, couscous, and fish. You can also use it to boil eggs. That means you do not need additional kitchen appliances to prepare your dishes.
Once it is through with the cooking, it will keep your food warm thanks to the automatic warm function. Thus, when you are ready to serve the food, you will find it as warm as you need it to be. Thanks to a dedicated steam vent, this cooker is able to prevent splattering. It has chrome handles which are ever cold-to-the-touch to give you safe cooking experience.
Here, we are talking about a nonstick pot that’s safe to clean in a dishwasher. No matter the removable part you pick, you can simply put it in the dishwasher and press it on. The package includes several accessories like a recipe booklet, rice spoon, and measuring cup. In other words, you do not have to pay extra to acquire any of these accessories.
5. Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U-W 5.5-Cup Micom Rice Cooker
- An affordable, small rice cooker
- An easy-to-use, one-button functionality
- Up to four settings to customize your cooking
- May not cook large rice portions
- Lacks a clock or timer to pre-program your cooking
- Has only four functionality options
Best Compact Rice Cooker
The Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U is an innovative rice cooker that’s designed to allow for the simultaneous cooking of rice and a main dish. Stop worrying about the flavor of the dish leaching into the rice. This rice cooker is made in a way to prevent that. Thus, this dish enables you to prepare a complete meal all at the same time. As you remove the cooked rice, the main dish will also be ready for serving. Additionally, you can set the cooking temperature to precision, thanks to the four intelligent settings.
In order to keep the food warm for longer, you can use the keep warm setting. That way, you will be able to maintain the temperature of the rice at a certain level. Since it is made of non-stick material, the inner pot is very easy to clean. It prevents food from getting stuck thus making your work very easy. The rice cooker comes with a number of accessories so that you can start cooking straight away. For example, you will get a measuring cup for the correct rice proportions. This is basically a one-button operated cooker which makes the cooking experience simpler.
This is one of the best rice cookers in the lowest price range. For a less expensive cooker, it is surprising that it doesn’t burn your rice. The pan has a simple design that ensures even heating of the rice. That way, you shouldn’t expect any burnt rice on the bottom. So, buy this cooker if for exceptional cooked rice.
6. Aroma Arc Rice Cooker and Food Steamer
- An affordable rice cooker
- Cooks many more types of food
- It is easy-to-clean and maintains
- It comes with a very short cord
- May spill starchy water all over the place
- Likely to burn the cooked rice
Best Rice Cooker and Food Steamer
Are you looking for a compact cooker that is capable of cooking a sizeable meal of rice? The Aroma Arc Rice Cooker is small enough to cook just 3 cups of rice (uncooked). If you have some pre-cooked rice, you can scoop up to 6 cups into the cooker. The good thing is that you can cook meat or veggies simultaneously with rice. This will save you a lot of time, especially if you are in a hurry.
With this rice cooker, it is possible to keep your food warm thanks to the function that allows for automatic warming. That, effectively means that you do not have to eat your rice immediately. Rather, you can eat it at a more convenient time. As we had already alluded to, you can use this cooker to prepare more dishes than just rice. Examples include barley, quinoa, amaranth, oatmeal, and other whole grains. It can also prepare stews, chili, broths, and virtually anything that needs cooking.
If you are looking for an easy-to-wash rice cooker, try this one. Both the steam tray and inner pot are safe for cleaning using the dishwasher. That is also true for the other accessories including the spatula, measuring cup, and steam tray.
7. BLACK+DECKER RC503 Uncooked Rice Cooker
- Operates on a one-button cooking functionality
- Comes with serving scoop, measuring cup, and steamer basket
- An easy-to-clean non-stick basket
- The rice cooking settings aren’t customizable
- No temperature control capabilities
- You have to cook a full pot of rice
Best 3-Cup Rice Cooker
One of the main considerations you should make before buying a rice cooker is the price. But finding an affordable rice cooker that also cooks extremely well isn’t easy. That’s where the BLACK+DECKER RC503 comes in. you wouldn’t believe that this high-quality rice cooker is actually very affordable. Not that falls short in terms of the features. In fact, it compares favorably with some of the best. For instance, it has a button that you can press to automatically keep the food warm. Also, the cooking pot is made of non-stick material.
It comes with a dedicated steam basket, unlike the other models which may mean buying it separately. The rice cooker comes with several preset settings so that you can tune your rice with greater precision. It is possible to fine-tune the cooking time.
To reiterate, this is the right rice cooker to buy if you are on a budget. The tempered glass top is hard to break and the steam vent lets the steam out of the pot. Thus, you will not experience the spillage issues that have been reported on the other rice cookers. It has a built-in lid hook that doesn’t heat up. That way, you can safely remove the lid.
8. Dash DRCM200GBAQ04 Mini Rice Cooker Steamer
- An affordable rice cooker
- An easy-to-clean non-stick pan
- Has a one-year warranty
- Cooks only two cups of rice
- Has a strong smell that doesn’t seem to go away
- Has a strong smell that doesn’t seem to go away
Best Mini Ricer Cooker Steamer
When it comes to the variety of dishes you can prepare using the Dash DRC200GBAQ04 Mini Rice Cooker, the list is almost endless. For example, you can use it to prepare pasta, rice, quinoa, soup, stew, oatmeal, and steamed veggies. Unlike some of the other cookers, this particular product is great for preparing both white and brown rice without burning it. That’s all because it is basically a slow cooker that takes time to give you the best results.
The cooker comes with a number of great features that will work virtually for anyone. For example, it includes an aluminum pan that’s enough to accommodate cooked rice by up to two cups. It is a one-button operation affair. It also has a warmer to optimize the temperature of the rice until you are ready to serve it. The cooker has up to 8 distinct menu settings to cook different measures of rice as well as the other types of food. This technologically advanced rice cooker is equipped to keep in all the food flavors.
One of the best features of this product is the ease of cleaning. The pan has a non-stick surface that doesn’t retain any food particles. So why shouldn’t you buy this rice cooker?
9. Panasonic SR-3NAL 1.5-Cup Automatic Rice Cooker
- An aluminum cooking for fast food preparation
- A simple, compact design
- A light indicator to show when cooking is over
- Reported failure of the automatic shut-off feature
- Not suitable for a family
- May leak water and cause a mess
Best Automatic Rice Cooker
The small-sized Panasonic SR-3NA 1.5-Cup Automatic Rice Cooker is ideal for people who lead the hermit lifestyle. It comes with an inner pan that is coated with aluminum to prevent food from sticking on its surface. With this cooker, expect the rice to cook evenly, thanks to a revolutionary heating technology. Since aluminum is a good conductor of heat, it soon heats up for a fast meal of rice. In effect, the cooker requires only a little power. If the food turns cold, you can easily warm it by turning the device back on.
This is a countertop rice cooker, given that it weighs only 1.9 pounds and measures 7.7 by 7.6 by 6.6. With a 1.5-cup capacity of uncooked rice, this cooker is perfect for someone who lives alone. When it comes to the kind of foods you can prepare using it, this cooker is quite versatile. For example, you can use it to prepare cheese, stews, soups, and oatmeal.
The package contains a measuring cup and an inner pan. It has a see-through tempered glass lid which is virtually unbreakable. Through it, you can monitor the progress of the rice as it cooks. The cooker comes with several safety measures including a light indicator that turns off once the cooking is done. It is extremely easy to clean.
How to Choose The Best Rice Cooker – The Ultimate Buying Guide
Are you looking to buy a rice cooker? If so, then you are in the right place. Rice cookers are multi-purpose appliances that you can use to cook, warm, and steam all kinds of foods. It can change the way you do the cooking in your kitchen and give you quicker and better results. But just how do you ensure that you buy the right rice cooker? The following are some of the factors that determine the kind of rice cooker to buy.
What Type Of Cooker Do You want?
There are several types of rice cookers on the market. Some are basic, simple, and cheap while others are “smart”, sophisticated, and expensive. We discuss the common types of rice cookers below:
- Microwave cookers: If you need a cheap, basic cooker, you are better off with a microwave one. It is usually made from plastic and steam, cook or warm food through the microwave oven.
- Standard: The most commonly found rice cookers fall into this category. From the name, there is nothing sophisticated about these cookers. They are basic in almost all aspects including the components and features. You can use them to cook rice and other foods. Also, they come in handy when it comes to warming and steaming meat and veggies.
- Micom: Several of the rice cookers featured in the reviews above belong to the Micom category. They feature computerized micro-chips, which make them “smart” and more advanced than the standard type. The microchips have sensors that finely adjust temperatures for more targeted cooking. They also have precise timers.
- Induction Heating: In this category are heaters that combine the best from Micom and induction heating. They are known to be more efficient and perfect when it comes to cooking various types of food. Efficient induction technology is used to heat the pot in its entirety by creating a magnetic field for the accurate distribution of heat.
- Induction and Pressure Heating: This the most advanced technology on the market today. The rice cookers in this category combine induction heating, pressure heating, and Micom intelligence. It has the ability to distribute heat all over the pot so as to quickly cook the food. In this category are some of the most expensive rice cookers. With the high price, you get the best rice in terms of texture, taste, and appearance.
What Is The Capacity Of The Cooker?
The capacity of a rice cooker will determine the number of people you can serve after cooking. If you intend to be cooking for the entire family, then you should get a high-capacity cooker. That way, you will have no reason to cook the rice repeatedly. However, if you live alone, you would be contented with a small rice cooker. When it comes to capacity, cookers may have specifications in terms of the “cooked” and “uncooked” rice. The number of cups given for each of these indicators will define the capacity of the cooker.
Is The Rice Cooker Portable?
It is important for a rice cooker to be highly portable, especially if you will be carrying it from one location to another. Make sure it is lightweight, easy to use, and has a carrying tote. However, if the rice cooker is solely for home use, then it can be as big as possible. In that case, the weight wouldn’t really matter. So, check the weight which appears in terms of pounds and the measurements which come in inches.
How Easy Is It To Clean?
Just like any other kitchen appliance, a rice cooker will need to be cleaned from the inside out. On the outer surface, a little scrubbing and rinsing with water will do. For the inner components, they can be cleaned in the dishwasher. To make it easy to clean, most pans and pots are made of non-stick materials that are easy to wipe. They are also safe to clean in the dishwasher.
Is It Easy To Use?
Rice cookers are characteristically multi-functional. The can be used to cook, steam, and warm. Some come with several operation modes which means you have to take time to learn how to use them. Others can be slow cookers, pressure cookers, and sauté machines all at the same time. It is essential that when buying such a cooker, you should ensure that is has a clear instructional manual. That’s important, especially for the kind that does not have a light indicator.
The best rice cookers are those that offer one-touch technology. Using a single button, you can easily move from one function to another without trying too much. A good cooker will also have a timer and indicator lights. Even though you will pay more, you will have a cooker that is easy to use.
Does It Save Storage Space?
Rice cookers need space in the kitchen where you can store them. Some are small enough for storage on a cupboard while others are big and may require extra storage space. If you have a small, compact rice cooker, you only need to remove it from the cupboard and then use it to cook. For the bigger rice cookers, you will have to set aside space for it on a counter.
What Are Some Of The Other Features Of The Rice Cooker?
Besides the factors already discussed above, there are certain features that a good rice cooker must-have. They include the following:
- The Keep Warm Function: For you to derive maximum benefits from a rice cooker, it should be capable of keeping the rice warm for long enough. That way, you will be able to have warm food when the time for eating comes. So, buy a rice cooker with the keep-warm function.
- The Number of Foods: Just because it is a rice cooker doesn’t mean you should use it to cook just rice. Many of the products featured here can also cook many other foods. They can cook meat, oatmeal, or even steam veggies. If you want a cooker to prepare a variety of foods, get one that can do just that.
When you find the right rice cooker, don’t hesitate to buy it. It could be among the models we have already featured in this review or some other kind. What’s important is that you pay attention to the factors discussed in the buying guide. Make sure that the rice cooker you buy meets all your needs. It should also be affordable. After all, you can only get value for money with an affordable, highly-functional rice cooker. Make a wise decision!