The cold season is here. Since a bowl of soup can only do so much, an additional source of heat is extremely important for your home. Traditionally, we used to rely on fireplaces that require firewood, which ended up producing all that unnecessary smoke. Thankfully, the good scientists brought us the air conditioners, which, in turn, brought us warmth, joy, and painful electricity bills at the same time. Luckily, space heaters are here to the rescue.
Space heaters come as the most efficient way to quickly bring warmth to a drafty room. They work by giving concentrated amounts of warmth to a particular space they are in, and since they complement or can even act as a substitute to an air conditioner, they will easily save on the extra cost that would go to energy bills. These machines are also portable and compact, meaning you can roll or carry them into any other room or when you want to warm up your camping tent when out having fun.
There is a wide variety of heaters out there, each one using a unique means of distributing the heat, we have convection heaters, which are often ceramic and use fans for heat distribution. We also have infrared heaters, which use infrared rays. Infrared rays are considered to be more energy efficient because they use infrared ray, which moves more quickly and silently. However, to get the toasty feeling throughout the whole space, you may need to combine the two. We have done our research, presenting you with some of the best space heaters in the market.
Top 10 Space Heaters of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 10 Space Heaters of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Lasko 754200 Ceramic Portable Space Heater with Adjustable Thermostat
- 2. Space Heater, Quiet Personal Mini Electric Ceramic Heater
- 3. Honeywell HHF360V 360-Degree Fan Forced Surround Heater
- 4. Space Heater, 1500W / 750W Portable Oscillating Ceramic PTZ Electric Heater
- 5. 1500W / 750W Ceramic Space Heater
- 6. KOOLWOOM Portable Electric Space Heater Infrared Zone Heating Systems
- 7. Lasko aw300 Air Logic Bladeless heater
- 8. VIPEX Space Heater, VIPEX 1500W Electric Heater
- 9. Pelonis Infrared Quartz Heater
- 10. Ceramic Space Heater,1000W Electric Personal Portable Heater
- Choosing The Best Space Heaters – The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Lasko 754200 Ceramic Portable Space Heater with Adjustable ThermostatBest Portable Space Heater
So, there’s every other moderately decent space heater out there, and then there is our number one, the Lasko 754200 Ceramic Portable Space Heater. What makes this little beast holds the esteemed title is not because it has biceps and good humor like Dwayne rock Johnson, no. But rather how this device checks out all possible requirements, you’d expect from a miniature space heater. The Lasko is kind of like that overachiever in class with the perfect A’s, who you just hate to love.
With its sleek, compact design, you will barely notice the Lasko as it sits in your small or medium-sized room. Its size, backed with a carry handle, makes this baby perfect for carrying around with you. But don’t let its size fool you. This little heater packs quite the punch. So whether you are out camping or traveling, and have no idea how to light a fire. This heater will guarantee that you are always warm.
The Lasko is made from the best quality ceramic material out there, making it among the most durable in the market. With its adjustable thermostat, you get a range of up to 11 temperature settings to choose from. That is 11 different possible ways of being happy on a cold evening. It also features a variety of additional built-in safety features that protect the heater from overheating. So, even if you leave it on for long periods of time it won’t burn out.
Also noteworthy is how the heater has 3 quiet heat settings, that is, high heat, low heat, and a fan. And what does this fan do exactly? Well, what any other fan does of course. It cools. Meaning the Lasko can actually double up as a cooler during the warmer summer. It also has a cool-touch exterior that will keep its body cool even when emitting high-temperature heat. The device comes fully assembled. Its set up is as easy as plugging it into a power source, selecting your temperature setting and well… that’s it!
- It is a heater and a fan
- High quality, durable ceramic material
- Is compact and has a handle for portability
- Lacks a tip-over switch
- Not ideal for larger spaces
- Not the best looking heater out there
2. Space Heater, Quiet Personal Mini Electric Ceramic HeaterBest Mini Space Heater
Considered to be a favorite among space heater enthusiasts and regular consumers everywhere, this quiet personal mini heater from Doublefly deserves a top place on the list as well and rightly so. With its sleek, classy design, we wouldn’t blame you for falling for this beauty at first sight. But it’s not entirely all beauty and no brains with this one. The unit features its uniquely advanced infrared system. What this means is that this space heater will provide your daily dose of warm air, without sucking out all the moisture from it.
The heater comes with three modes, each requiring different power inputs. You can choose high heat 1500W for instant heat on the colder nights, you can choose the low heat 750W for when you just want to warm your personal space, or you can opt for the cool blow fan for when it’s hot. It combines this with an active, thermostat, so you can easily adjust to the heat level that feels most comfortable.
The space heater is also relatively small and portable, with a carry handle for easy movement. It will easily fit under your desk or right next to your nightstand to warm your sheets. With this heater, you don’t need to worry about any fire hazards or whether or not it will burn your carpet. It guarantees this with a fall switch set at the bottom of the unit. The switch will automatically turn the heater off if it tips over 30 degrees. The unit is also made of heat resistant ABS has overheated protection for additional protection. So get yourself one today and bear witness to all this space heaters glory.
- Lightweight and easily usable in multiple rooms
- Fall switch in case it tips over
- Has a beautiful, sleek design
- Cord is a bit short if your power source is far
- Bet fitted for small rooms and personal spaces
- The fan gets a bit loud
3. Honeywell HHF360V 360-Degree Fan Forced Surround HeaterBest MFan Surround Space Heater
The Honeywell HHF360V 360-Degree Fan Forced Surround Heater gives you what you’d expect from any 360-degree heat source, an all-round distributed heat. This basically makes it operate with the efficiency of a small campfire. You can expect warm air no matter which side you position yourself. The only question that remains is, can you gather around it with your buddies and sing kumbaya on that chilly night? Why yes. Yes, you can.
One of the key selling points of the unit is that it is fan-forced. And what does this mean exactly? Well, fan-forced heaters use a fan to circulate the warmed air across the room. This, in turn, translates to faster warm air distribution than you’d expect from your average hater. Much as the fan does make some sounds, they are reasonably low profile and shouldn’t really come as much of a bother.
The HHF30V comes with all the quality guarantees you’d expect from any Honeywell product. It has 2 safety features set in place, one is a tip-off switch to shut it off if it tips over, and the second one is an inbuilt feature automatically turns off the machine once optimal room temperatures are achieved. Its control panel features two knobs, one, a thermostat knob for alternating temperatures, and the other is for heat settings, high or low, depending on how much power you want to give the machine.
The Honeywell weighs only 3 pounds and has a cool touch carry handle in place for easy portability. It is built to perform adequately in small to medium spaces such as offices or bedrooms. So, simply move with it to your room of choice at your convenience. When you purchase the Honeywell, it comes fully assembled straight out of the box,
- 360-degree all-round coverage
- Is fan forced for faster heat distribution
- Has a nice looking design
- It’s loud and annoying to light sleepers
- Plastic smells or melting may occur months of use
- Lacks a timer, LED display or remote control
4. Space Heater, 1500W / 750W Portable Oscillating Ceramic PTZ Electric HeaterBest Portable Oscillating Space Heater
Coming on as one of the highest-rated space heaters by Amazon users is this fine space heater by Dayuup. At first glance, It becomes apparent the level of thought and craftsmanship that was put in the design of this work of art. The space heater is simply classy, made of visibly high-quality material that will let it sit perfectly on top of any desktop, cubicle or countertop surface without looking like an awkward ill-fitting necessity.
When it comes to compactness and portability, you can’t beat this unit. The unit is smaller than a laptop screen, yet strong enough to heat up the entire room. In fact, it will provide you with normal heat even in its low mode. For even better results, it has automatic oscillation features in place which rotates the ceramic heater in different angles to dissipate the heat in many directions. The space heater also has a handle on its backside, with an extremely lightweight that makes it equally easy to hold and move.
The device has your typical, 3 user-friendly controls, the hot, warm or fan mode. With this, you can use it at any time of year. Set hot or warm mode during winter and fan-only mode during the warmer summer days. It has safety measures in place whereby the heater goes off when you overturn it or when it senses any overheating. To also suit your convenience, the unit only gives out 45 decibels of noise. This is an exceptional level of silence (only 5 decibels more than your average library). That said if you want a heater that will do its job without interrupting your sleep work or study sessions you should consider this one.
- High-quality beautiful design
- Small yet powerful
- Has an oscillating mode for more even heat distribution
- Lacks a timer
- Typically ideal for small to medium-sized rooms
5. 1500W / 750W Ceramic Space HeaterBest Space Heater for Medium-Sized Rooms
When it comes to size and productivity, this next ceramic space heater is one of the most effective out there. its relatively cheap, yet still manages an impressive steady and consistent heat dispersion capability. The unit Doubles as a cooling fan and will prove useful in all-year-round climate control. it has 3 modes to choose from, high and low heat for more intense power input. (1500w and 750 w respectively), while the blow fan gives off a cooler effect.
Besides this, the heater is compact with a body weighing as much as your bread toaster. It works by producing a nice warm stream of air that starts by handling the space directly in front of it as it works its way through the rest of the room. The machine is proven to be powerful enough to cover any medium-sized room with absolute ease. That said, simply place it up to 3 feet next to your legs for a more amplified effect as it works its way through the rest of the room.
As with most high-quality heaters, this unit also has additional safety capacities in place, like tip over gravity, which turns the machine off when you pick it up or if it tips over. It also has overheat protection and thermostat control, which is easy to adjust to your temperature of choice. Not yet impressed? Well, you’d be surprised to find that this whole package weighs a mere 5 pounds in its entirety. It has a carry handle too, meaning you can carry with you back and forth from work to home. The heater is small enough to fit inside your average-sized 1 person tent.
- Tip-over gravity switch for safety
- Has an added fan for when it gets hot
- Small and compact
- The design is not really as sleek
- Cannot provide enough warmth for larger rooms
6. KOOLWOOM Portable Electric Space Heater Infrared Zone Heating SystemsBest Space Heater for home and office
If you are looking for a more serious long term companion kind of heater, then this next unit is the one for you. The make of it just screams relationship material, with all the qualities to prove it. First of all, the unit is attractive as per any conventional standard. It is tall, dark and arguably handsome, with a lifelike flame effect on its LED display screen. With this feature in place, it is able to blend in the family room like a fireplace easily. The only difference is its electric, meaning more efficiency and less pollution.
The Koolwoom uses infrared heating systems, backed by PTC rapid heating, which makes it more efficient and faster at heating. The infrared technology also means less noise. Additionally, it comes with remote control and a 12-hour timer for more operational convenience. The unit’s size is 15.8 inches long, by 12.8 inches wide, by 15.7 inches high. As you’d expect, it weighs more than your typical space heater. However, it has wheels at its bottom that will have you covered, should you ever decide that you want the ambiance in your bedroom.
Since the Koolwoom space heater s portable, it is susceptible to tipping over which may result in various electrical hazards. However, it comes equipped with a tip-over shut off feature that automatically turns off the heater if your 7-year old ever decides to use it for soccer practice. In addition to this, it has an anti-overheat feature, which turns off the device if the temperature rises past 105 degrees. Therefore, if you are looking for a replacement for that energy-consuming home AC, this definitely qualifies.
- It gives off enough heat for larger rooms
- It has wheels for portability
- Has LCD fire effect display to create a fireplace effect
- Is a bit bulky
- Provides a good amount of heat, but not suitable for small spaces
7. Lasko aw300 Air Logic Bladeless heaterBest Space Heater with Infrared Heat Zone
For years Lasko has held up a top spot among the best heater manufacturers in the industry, which is why it comes as no surprise to find another of their products in our top ten list. This 27-inch tall Lasko aw300 air logic bladeless heater is one of the tallest space heaters you’ll find around. With its inarguably beautiful design, the unit wasn’t made just to go unnoticed. The Lasko aw300 will literally stand tall while adding that extra touch of elegance to your living space.
Despite its height, the air this bladeless heater doesn’t really take up much room. It almost looks like one of those standalone speakers in a home theater system. The device features a set of digital touch controls that have both high and low settings. Since it is powerful enough to cover a really large floor space, its remote control will help you make those long-distance tweaks from the comfort of your seat. Also meant to enhance your user experience is an 8-hour timer which you can set to shut it off automatically or on when you are away from home.
The Lasko aw300 does not need the use of a fan. It does its job using Lasko’s blower technology, which is both powerful and almost completely noiseless. It features a filter on its rear with the EZClick system that helps keep debris from the center of the heater. You can wipe the other heat channels separately. When it comes to safety, it has its safe touch surface; a tip-over safety switch, and its heating element that is hidden beyond the reach of young toddlers.
- The beautiful design will blend with your living area
- Uses noiseless blower technology
- Heating elements are hidden for enhanced safety
- Occupies a lot of space in small rooms
- A bit pricey
- You can’t hide it if you wanted to
8. VIPEX Space Heater, VIPEX 1500W Electric HeaterBest Space Heater for Large Rooms
From the flawlessly detailed design to the futuristic-looking, ultra-modern digital display, Vipex really outdid themselves with this one. This space heater looks like it’s some android device that belongs in outer-space. Or at least one of the star wars movies. The heater is both powerful and large enough to cover larger spaces like living rooms, although it will equally blend in your work environment. And as you would expect from any modern-day heater, it comes fully equipped with protection against overheating as well as an anti-tip protection mechanism that will shut it off, in the event that it accidentally tips over.
The Viper comes with a remote control which grants you full access to the machine’s many features including, increasing or decreasing temperatures (which range from 41 degrees to 90 degrees F), oscillating the heater from side to side, adjusting the fan speed and powering on and off all in the comfort of your seat. It also features an 8-hour timer that has auto-shutoff. With this, you can set your heater to react to your particular depending on your time. If that hasn’t gotten you yet, the space heater has wide-angle oscillation that you can activate if you need wider coverage or better heat distribution.
The heater comes with two major settings, the high heating mode, which uses 1500W and low heating mode, featuring 900W. You can set them up using the device’s touch-sensitive screen, which additionally features an LED display for easy maneuvering. The Viper space heater lightweight which means you can carry it anywhere. So gift yourself with this fine piece of technology and get a little taste of the future today.
- Lightweight and very portable
- Has an oscillation feature to cover large space areas
- Has remote control support and timer
- Lacks instruction manual
- It’s relatively pricey
9. Pelonis Infrared Quartz HeaterBest Space Heater for Drafty Rooms
With the pelonis infrared quartz heater comes the promise of a compact yet powerful machine that will get your room warmed up in no time. It achieves this using its modern infrared technology that works both fast and noiselessly. Just by looking at its sturdy metallic construction, you can tell that the Pelonis will serve you for a long time. The machine powerful, compact, and brings with it all the functionality required to bring warmth to up any drafty room.
The machine is built for portability, easily movable from room to room, coming with 2 heat settings to match your comfort level. That is the 750 less powerful setting and the 1500 watts more powerful setting. The lack of a fan may seem like a miss on its part. However, fans tend to cool the quartz. With the Pelonis however, you will almost feel like it’s the sun shining on you. Its controls are made with extreme simplicity to enhance your user experience. They consist of one knob for temperature control and the other to vary the heat.
With its compact design, the Pelonis infrared heater is perfect for medium-sized spaces, including bedrooms, offices, bathrooms, and garages. It features a 70-inch cord as well, which will allow you to place it closer or further to you, depending on your preference. Since it is an electrical appliance that is prone to hazards, the Pelonis comes equipped with tip-over and overheat protection that will automatically shut it off if there is excessive internal heat produced. As a show of confidence, the product also comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Limited noise infrared technology
- Compact and easily portable
- Strong metallic material
- It has only two settings unlike your usual three.
- Not so good looking
10. Ceramic Space Heater,1000W Electric Personal Portable HeaterBest Elegant Space Heater
Lastly, we have this beautiful little piece of man’s creativity and innovation. With its white base and nicely crafted peg wooden legs, the ceramic space heater from SMSJ is inarguably one of the more elegant personal space heaters out there. Much as the small size and design of this heater makes it a perfect mantelpiece, the heater was not actually made for decoration. The little machine comes backed with 1000watts worth of heating power. featuring a PTC Ceramic element that will make the little beast gain heat in just 3 seconds. The high-quality elements in its make guarantee more durability and efficiency in heating.
You can judge by its appearance that this space heater is extremely easy to carry. Well yes, indeed it is. It’s both lightweight small enough to fit on any countertop or office desk. The material used to make it is fireproof as well, so you can say goodbye to that annoying plastic smell in most heat appliances.
The ceramic heater additionally has overheated, tip over, and over current protection so you can rest assured that you’ll be safe from any hazards. The cute legs at its bottom also have rubber grips that will keep it steady on the surface. To further enhance these safety protocols, it has an automatic time setting that will shut it down after six hours of being on. This will surely come in handy in those moments when you go out and leave it on.
As you’d expect from any highly efficient heater, The device comes with a remote control to conveniently adjust its 3 mode settings. That is Warm, Hot and natural wind. It also has a fan that you can use to cool down a bit during the hotter times. The modes are also easy to operate, with the use of one button to switch through. Anyone will tell you how with this heater and its price, you get the ultimate value for your money… They’ll tell you how it comes surprisingly small, yet still warms up immediately. All that plus it’s as noiseless as they come. So what are you waiting for? Buy one for your better-half today, and keep the love warm.
- Very cute design
- Relatively cheap
- Small but adequately covers a small room
- The padding at the feet tend to come off easy
- Melt if heated for too long in high power mode
- Not suitable for larger rooms
Choosing The Best Space Heaters – The Ultimate Buying Guide
Winter is here, and much as we may go out and enjoy the winter sports activities, you’ll agree that nothing beats the feeling of retreating to the uncompromised serenity of the warm indoors. When winter comes you need to employ all possible methods to provide warmth to you and your family. One of the most convenient ways to do that is by using a space heater. The best space heaters are designed to be used in specific rooms and can help you save on the cost of energy. A space heater is also a convenient way of heating a room that feels colder due to wind blowing through the window or because of the HVAC system not reaching there.
However, you need to know how to buy a space heater before you can even start enjoying its benefits. In this write-up, we provide a comprehensive buyers’ guide to help you get the best product to meet your heating needs.
Type Of Space Heater
There are four main types of space heaters on the market, namely personal heaters, room heaters, portable heaters, and outdoor heaters. Below is a detailed look at each of the four types of space heaters.
- Personal Heaters: Portable heaters are designed for use by one or two people in a small room. They are compact, portable, and easy to use. After turning it on, give it 10 minutes or less and it will warm up a small room. Their design allows them you sit on a table, nightstand or floor. You can basically place it according to the part of the body you intend to warm.
- Room Heaters: Even though small and compact, room heaters have the ability to adequately heating up an entire room. You can place the heater in one of the room’s corners. The heater will have a fan, which spreads the warm air throughout the room.
- Portable Heaters: So as to be able to get warmth from one room to another, you need a portable heater. It is easy to carry around the house and you can even carry it to the office if you must. In most cases, portable heaters are electric, small, and easy to carry. However, this can only be used in the house where you have electrical outlets. If you need to carry it off-grid, then a heater that uses gas will do fine.
- Outdoor Heaters: If you often host parties in your backyard, an outdoor heater is what you need. With such a heater, the winter weather will not be able to interfere with the party. In that case, it should be a gas heater. You may want to buy a portable propane heater which is suitable for a small group of people. A portable heater will do very well if the party is on your patio. Alternatively, you may buy a wall-mounted heater. However, this will require a professional to install a gas line.
What Type Of Fuel Does It Use?
Space heaters may use two types of fuel, either electricity or gas. The following is a detailed explanation of the two types of fuel for space heaters.
Electric Space Heaters
From the name, electric space heaters rely on electricity to turn it into heat. As such, they require an electric outlet to work. The power provided by an electric space heater is measured in terms of watts. The wattage of a space heater basically indicates the size of the room you can effectively use it in. electric heaters can further be broken into four types – the convection, panel, infrared, and radiator.
- Convection Heaters: If you intend to heat an enclosed space, a convection heater is what you need. After the heat is produced, it is spread throughout the room thanks to a built-in fan. Since it keeps moving, the fan tends to produce some noise. Thus, if noise is an issue, you may want to consider a model without a fan. Only that without a fan, the heat will be spread around through the natural airflow, which may not work very well.
- Infrared Heaters: If you want to channel heat directly to you or the people in your house, you should buy an infrared space heater. As such, this type of heater is great for heating small spaces, where few people are gathered. The heat is directly channeled to the target object or person without necessarily warming up the air. When it is shut off, the air grows cold once again. In order for you to get warm, you have to directly face the heater.
- Panel Heaters: Panel heaters make use of the best of both the infrared and convection heating systems. They start quickly and evenly distribute warm air in the entire room. If you are looking for the best of both worlds, make sure you buy a panel heater.
- Radiator Heaters: Radiator heaters use internally stored oil to produce heat. The oil is heated and circulated through the machine. As it moves around, the machine radiates heat to the rest of the room. Radiator heaters are small and compact. Thus, they save a lot of space, can be carried from one room to another, and can warm a whole room given time. These are the best space heaters for leaving in a room for longer. They circulate warm air in the room and warm your space in the process. Even if you turn the heater off, the room will still be warm enough.
Gas Space Heaters
Gas space heaters rely on gas as fuel. To start it, you may need an electric starter or match. It heats up the area around it, circulates it throughout the air, and warms up the entire space. The best space heaters for the outdoors are those that use gas. You can use it on your patio or porch to provide the warmth you and your people need. With gas space heaters, you have to make a choice between the portable and stationary ones. They can be categorized as propane or natural gas heaters.
- Propane Heaters: As the name suggests, propane space heaters used propane as a source of fuel. The heater usually comes with a standard propane tank. Thus, these heaters are mostly portable, given that they do not need a connection to a gas line. Unlike electric space heaters which are affected by power outages, this particular type keeps burning.
- Natural Gas Heaters: With a natural gas heater, you will require the services of a professional to do the installation. The initial cost of installation for this particular type of space heater is usually high. However, it costs less in the long run. If anything, you will not need to replace the gas tank. However, you have to provide adequate ventilation in your home.
Energy Efficiency Of The Heater
A space heater needs to be energy efficient for you to be able to save money in terms of energy bills. But you may not know the right space heater to choose unless you first compare several models. Look for the efficiency ratings of the various models you find. Only that portable electric heaters might not be as efficient as normal AC systems.
So, you might be forced to look at the wattage of the electric space heater you want to buy. The less wattage, the more energy-efficient the model will be. Also, make sure that the heater is just the right one for your space. Check it for other features such as programmable timers, adjustable thermostats, and energy-saving modes. Alternatively, you might want to avoid electric space heaters in their entirety and instead buy a gas-powered one.
A space heater produces heat, which is the reason you must consider how safe it is to use in your home. If you do not pay attention to that aspect, you might have to deal with a fire accident. That’s especially when the heater comes into contact with flammable materials. But safety is not just about whether a space heater can start a fire or not. It is also about whether it can burn you when you touch it.
The good thing with electrical heaters is that they have surfaces that are cool to touch. Others have an automatic shut-off feature, which is triggered when it is tipped. Some even feature an overheat protection.
How Noisy Is It?
If you buy a portable electric space heater, then you should expect some level of noise. The ones that produce convention heat have fans and are the noisiest. To prevent noise, you might have to buy a model without a fan like the radiant heater. Quiet space heaters are best for use in the bedroom or office.
However, if noise is not an issue, then an electric heater with a fan will do great. That’s because a heater with a fan might be noisy but it spreads heat throughout the room.
Apart from the aspects we have already discussed above, there are additional features that define how efficient the water heater is. They include the following:
- Automatic Shut Off: As part of ensuring safety, most electric space heaters come with an automatic shut-off feature. Its work is to prevent overheating and accidental fires when it falls. That way, you can be sure of you and your loved ones remain safe.
- Length of Power Cord: If you intend to move the space heater around, you should pay attention to the length of the power cord. If you have a small room, a short power cord will do just fine. However, a long cord will be suitable in a large room with a single power outlet.
- Thermostat: It makes sense to want to maintain the level of heat produced by a space heater at a certain level. The feature that ensures the temperature does not go above a set maximum is the thermostat.
- Timer: A timer is necessary, especially if you intend to be using your heater for a given length of time. It comes in handy when you go to sleep while your heater is still on. This feature will ensure it shuts off at the set time.
- Remote: If you need to control your space heater without touching it, buy one with remote control. A remote is good for use to turn the heater on or off while in bed. No need to get up and walk to the heater.
- Mobility: Features that may determine whether a space heater is mobile or not include a handle and wheels. To move the heater from one point to another, simply push it by the handles and it will go where you want it to be.
The best space heaters are those that can serve your needs without compromising safety. So, don’t make a rush buying decision. Take time to compare several types and models of space heaters to know the one that is best for you. It also makes sense to look for a model being sold for a bargain price. After all, you can only buy what you can afford.