Electrical power surges are inevitable, and they can fry all your devices in a blink of an eye. When it comes to your home gadgets and devices, there’s a wrong way to provide them with a power source, and there’s a right way! The wrong way? Using basic power strips in a mess of cords! The right way? Using a surge protector!
Point is; a surge protector is an important component in any home. It is designed to offer your devices and appliances the much-needed protection against voltage spikes. It achieves this by either grounding or blocking most of the unwanted voltage above a specified, secure threshold.
From home theaters to Wi-Fi routers to TV cable box and everything in between, surge protectors are the real deal to ensure that your high-priced appliances remain protected at all times. We understand how critical this is, and that’s why we have spared some time to find you the best surge protectors in the market, as well as a few pointers to help you make a more informed buying decision.
Read on and find out:
Top 10 Surge Protectors of 2020 Reviewed
1. Philips 6-Outlet Surge Protector Tap[wt_products id=”3082″ template=”5″]
2. AmazonBasics 6-Outlet Surge Prospector Power Strip[wt_products id=”3083″ template=”5″]
3. ECHOGEAR On-Wall Surge Protector with 6 Pivoting AC Outlets[wt_products id=”3084″ template=”5″]
4. GE Designer Extension Cord With Surge Protection[wt_products id=”3085″ template=”5″]
5. HuntKey 6 AC Outlets Surge Protector with 2 USB Charging Ports[wt_products id=”3086″ template=”5″]
6. HOSLEM 12 Outlets Surge Protector Power Strip[wt_products id=”3088″ template=”5″]
7. KMC 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip[wt_products id=”3089″ template=”5″]
8. CyberPower CPS1215RMS Surge Protector[wt_products id=”3090″ template=”5″]
9. Surge Protector POWRUI USB Wall Charger[wt_products id=”3091″ template=”5″]
10. Belkin 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector[wt_products id=”3092″ template=”5″]
How to Choose The Best Surge Protector – The Ultimate Buying Guide
In order to protect your electronic equipment from unexpected power surges, you need a device that actually works. It is referred to as a surge protector and works by correcting the voltage before releasing it to your devices.
A surge protector is built to withstand power spikes even as it ensures the safety of your devices. It works by maintaining the power voltage at a safe level for your circuits. The best surge protectors are built with a heat-resistant material to ensure they last longer. So, what are some of the things you need to buy a surge protector?
Types Of Surge Protectors
Surge protectors exist in different types. Knowledge of the different types is important since it can enable you to pick the right one. The following are the various types of surge protectors:
- Whole Surge Protectors: If you are looking for a way to protect all outlets in your home, you might want to buy whole-house surge protectors. That way, your appliances will be protected from all kinds of power spikes and surges. For these power surges, you have to install in your home’s main electrical system. That way, it will protect your devices even before power reaches the outlets. In short, the surge protector is meant to be used together with point-of-use protection.
- Surge Protector Strips: In the review above, most of the featured devices fall in this category. They are simple devices that require plugging into a single wall socket. Since they have several outlets, these surge protectors allow for the connection and protection of multiple devices. But you cannot buy anything you come across. The device has to be labeled a “surge protector”.
- Wall-Mounted: A wall-mounted surge protector will look similar to a standard electric outlet. Apart from having a surge protector, it has several outlets, into which you can plug your devices. If you have limited space, opt for a wall-mounted unit instead of a regular-sized surge protector.
Features To Look For In A Surge Protector
It is not enough to narrow down onto a specific type of surge protector. There are other features you must consider. For instance, you are likely to come across surge protectors in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and price points. Without caring for a specific brand, the following are some of the factors to consider before buying a surge protector.
- Number of Outlets: The number of outlets on surge protectors differs based on the brand. It usually ranges from a minimum of 3 outlets to a maximum of 12. If you have only a few devices to connect, settling for a surge protector with a few outlets is okay. Otherwise, you have to buy one with up to 12 outlets. Only that those with more outlets look bulky and heavy.
- Energy Rating: The energy rating for a surge protector is measured in terms of joules. It refers to how many joules of the surge protector will be able to handle. In that case, you have to consider the power requirements of your devices before buying a surge protector. For example, if your electronics require high voltages, then the energy rating of the surge protector must of necessity be high.
- Portability: You may want a surge protector that’s easy to reach – one that makes it possible to connect a large number of devices at the same time. The good thing is that a good number of the available surge protectors are portable. You can carry them with you to and from your home. Still, many of them have USB ports through which you can charge your small devices.
- Warranty: Several of the surge protectors discussed in the review above come with warranties of varying lengths. While some warranties cover the surge protectors themselves, others take care of possible damage to the connected devices. Still, some surge protectors even have money-back guarantees attached to them.
- Durability: It is important that you buy a surge protector that’s durable. That ensures that you can have the surge protector for a long time to come. So, check that the material from which the surge protector is made is tamper-proof.
How Long Is The Battery Life?
While this attribute doesn’t have a direct impact on the ability of a surge protector to protect your devices, it is still important. You need to ensure that the cable is long enough to reach the outlet and devices to be protected.
Some of the surge protectors on the market may not have any cable. However, others have long power cables of up to 15 feet. Still, some of the power cables are braided and anti-tangle.
Is The Surge Protector Flame-Proof?
Many users of surge protectors have reported these units lighting up when the heat generated becomes too much. During a power surge, a simple spark can result in a flame if the surge protector isn’t made of the right material. The problem is that some units are made of regular plastic.
Others are made from metal, which resists sparks and dissipates any heat that might be generated. The ability of a surge protector to withstand heat is measured in terms of the energy rating. So check that the surge protector you wish to buy is actually fire-proof.
Does It Have Three-Line Protection?
Not all of the surge protectors in the market have three-line protection. Those that do are the best. With that, your devices are protected from three fronts. When one type of protection fails, the other will immediately kick in. that way, you will never experience a power surge. So, don’t stop until you are sure that the device has three-line protection.
How Much Does It Cost?
Importantly, you should consider the price of the surge protector. In most cases, the cheap surge protectors are just that – cheap. They are poorly built and may not offer effective protection to your device. So do not base your buying decision only on the price. You should consider all of the other factors before your budget leads you to acquire the wrong device.
If you can find the best surge protector for you, go ahead and buy it. Regardless of the price, you need it to protect your electronic devices against damage due to power spikes and surges. Check the reviews above to see if you can find what you are looking for. Just avoid being in a hurry.