Electrical power surges are inevitable, and they can fry all your devices in a blink of an eye. When it comes to your home gadgets and devices, there’s a wrong way to provide them with a power source, and there’s a right way! The wrong way? Using basic power strips in a mess of cords! The right way? Using a surge protector!
Point is; a surge protector is an important component in any home. It is designed to offer your devices and appliances the much-needed protection against voltage spikes. It achieves this by either grounding or blocking most of the unwanted voltage above a specified, secure threshold.
From home theaters to Wi-Fi routers to TV cable box and everything in between, surge protectors are the real deal to ensure that your high-priced appliances remain protected at all times. We understand how critical this is, and that’s why we have spared some time to find you the best surge protectors in the market, as well as a few pointers to help you make a more informed buying decision.
Read on and find out:
Top 10 Surge Protectors of 2020 Reviewed
1. Philips 6-Outlet Surge Protector Tap
- A compact, device that takes less space
- Has two USB outlets
- Protects different electronic devices
- May arrive broken
- May overheat and melt power plugs
- Has a limited number of AC outlets
Best 6-Outlet Surge Protector
If you are looking for a reliable surge protector, this is one of the products you should consider. It is one of the best tools for protecting your laptops, desktop computers, television sets, and other electronics against damage due to excessive voltage. This particular product lets in high amounts of power and supplies it to your devices in the safest levels possible. It stabilizes the power to 125V, 15A, 1875W. That is safe enough for most of your devices.
To add to that, this power surge is affordable, meaning you pay only a little to get it. Among the outlets on this device include several USB ports as well as 6 AC adapters. Basically, you get to choose an outlet depending on your needs. Going by online reviews, users of this device have found it to be one of the best.
Due to its compact size, you get to save a lot of space while using this device. Apart from desktop computers, this device can protect lamps, tablets, Bluetooth speakers, smartwatches, and cellphones all at the same time. It is great for use both at home and in the office.
2. AmazonBasics 6-Outlet Surge Prospector Power Strip
- A sturdy on/off switch
- Affordable for most people
- LED light indicator that shows you are “protected”
- Oddly cut mounting holes
- Some outlets may fail to work
- Reports of exposed wires in arrival
Best 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip
Not all of the surge protectors featured here are affordable. Concerning that, the AmazonBasics 6-Outlet Surge Protector can be considered the most pocket-friendly. With a little under $10, you get a product that assures you of the highest safety levels. As the name suggests, it has a total of 6 AC outlets so that you can attach a number of devices. You can use it to protect your lamps, phones, laptops, and other small electronics.
It comes with a red LED indicator that basically means “you are protected”. As long as the indicator is on, you can be sure that all is well. Additionally, the surge protector has a 15-amp circuit breaker, which cuts off power in case it is beyond the required voltage. Even if the amount of power will be high enough to overwhelm this device, you will be protected.
The surge protector has a two-foot power cord so that you can attach it to a wall outlet and still connect your devices. When the power comes out, it is 125V, 15A, 1875W. That is safe enough for most of the devices that rely on AC power. You will find the package having two similar surge protectors, which is not a very bad deal.
3. ECHOGEAR On-Wall Surge Protector with 6 Pivoting AC Outlets
- Has 6 pivoting outlets
- Secure wall-mount design
- A five-year warranty for connected devices
- Reports of people being electrocuted by the device
- Reports of fire upon plug-in
- May interfere with Wi-Fi networks
Best On-Wall Surge Protector
Not all devices are designed for use with several devices, including those with multiple outlets. In fact, some tend to overload when all the outlets are used. The ECHOGEAR On-Wall Surge Protector is designed for use with multiple devices at the same time. It also makes it very flexible when it comes to attaching these devices, thanks to the 6 pivoting outlets. If you want, you can plug in your devices to the right or left depending on what you want.
This surge protector does not have any power chord. So, instead of lying on the floor, it can sit right on the wall and still give you the protection you need. The advantage of staying on the wall is that it will not interfere with your movements or those of the other people at home or in the office.
But that’s not all. Apart from protecting your devices from damage due to a power surge, it prevents accidental fires. In the process, it keeps your home safe from all kinds of perils. Also, it prolongs the life of your devices without trying too much. The device comes with a 5-year warranty for connected devices for up to $25,000 in value.
4. GE Designer Extension Cord With Surge Protection
- Has a tangle-free, braided cable
- 3 grounded outlets
- Suitable for most of your devices
- Not really made by General Electric
- The spacing of the outlets is too close together
- Reports of poor design
Best Extension Cord with Surge Protector
Are you looking for an extension cord that can power multiple devices? Do you care if the extension cord has surge protection capabilities? You definitely do. The GE Designer Extension Cord with Surge Protection can do all that and more. You can use it to connect your laptop, phone, tablet, and so on. All these can be connected at the same time without any adverse consequences.
It has a flat plug design, which is suitable for sitting on the floor or flat surface. With the 8-foot, braided power cable, you have the leeway of connecting your devices a considerable distance of the mains socket. The makers of this extension cable have said it can improve the beauty of your room. You can use it at home or in the office.
The advantage of having a braided cord is that it is tangle-free. Thus, you will not have to spend a lot of time untangling the cords. Most people will find this surge protector very affordable. It lends credence to the notion that you do not have to spend a lot of money to protect your devices. The extension cable comes in two different colors of white or grey. The choice is yours to make.
5. HuntKey 6 AC Outlets Surge Protector with 2 USB Charging Ports
- Comes with a high joule rating
- The external shell resists heat
- Has 2 USB ports
- Will blow up when overloaded
- Costlier than most surge protectors
- Doesn’t have an extension cord
Best Surge Protector with USB Charging Ports
The effectiveness of a surge protector largely depends on its joule rating. As such, the higher the rating, the more effective the device is at protecting most of your outlets from damage. This particular device has a rating of 1080 joules. That’s three times more than some of the surge protectors featured in this review. With that kind of rating, it can protect most of your electronic devices from power spikes, surges, voltage fluctuations, and overloads.
It works with multiple types of receptacles including the GFCI receptacle, USB receptacle, as well as the standard décor receptacle. In total, it has 6 AC and 2 USB outlets. You don’t require a special adaptor to charge your phone or tablet. Simply plug in a USB cable and you are good to go.
Some surge protectors have been reported to melt under heat. Not so for the HuntKey 6 AC Outlets Surge Protector. The external shell is fire retardant and can withstand high temperatures of 750°C or 1380°F. With an integrated internal copper plate, the surge protector is able to dissipate most of the heat that’s created. To assure you of its quality, it has a 3-year warranty. Can anything beat that?
6. HOSLEM 12 Outlets Surge Protector Power Strip
- Has up to 12 AC outlets
- Comes with 3 USB outlets
- Made from heat resistant material
- A costly surge protector
- May not accommodate large power adapters
- Reports of malfunctioning USB devices
Best 12-Outlet Surge Protector
Sometimes you need a surge protector with multiple numbers of outlets. Rather than just having the six standard outlets, this particular device comes with additional wide-spaced 6 AC outlets. That gives you double the number of outlets that come with most of the devices featured here. In addition to accommodating many devices, this is a reliable surge protector. The 4000-joule energy rating says it all. You can use it to protect telephones, computers, laser printers, home theater systems, and so on.
It comes with a 6-foot extension cord, suitable for home or office use. The double-break overload switch protects your devices in a more effective way. In addition, the outer cover is made from flame-retardant material that can resist high temperatures of 750°C or 1380°F. That means that any heat that is generated as a result of its work is quickly dissipated.
To know the surge protector is up to the task, you only need to look at the reliable LED light. As long as the light is still on, you will know that your devices are protected. With this device, you will get a 24-month full-refund warranty. If anything goes wrong within that time, you will get all your money back.
7. KMC 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip
- A two-pack surge protector
- A lighted switch indicator
- 4-foot power cord
- The material may not be heat resistant
- A low energy rating
- No USB outlets
Best Surge Protector Power Strip
If you need two surge protectors for use in different parts of your home or office, try this. It is basically a two-pack surge protector, each with 6 outlets. In the end, you get a total of 12 AC outlets. That’s equivalent to buying the more expensive 12-outlet surge protectors. The good this is that you can use any of these surge protectors with multiple electronic devices. For example, you can connect your laptop, tablet, desktop computer, and so on.
Each of the two surge protectors comes with a 4-foot power cord. That is long enough to supply power from the wall to your electronic devices. It has a 900-joule energy rating, which is sufficient for most small electronic devices.
The power switch has a dedicated LED light, which indicates that the device is actually protecting your devices. For as long as it is on, you can be sure that your devices are protected. It works in tandem with a 15-Amp circuit breaker, which disconnects power when it is dangerously high. Your electronic devices will never be overcharged, overloaded or overheated. A fairly affordable device, it comes with a 2-year warranty.
8. CyberPower CPS1215RMS Surge Protector
- Has a relatively high energy rating
- Has a 15-foot power cable
- A 3-year warranty
- Complaints of breakage due to poor packaging
- The plug head may not be for use in the US
- Lights may not be very helpful
Best High Energy Rating Surge Protector
If you are looking for a surge protector that secures much more than your regular electronics, try the CyberPower CPS1215RMS. It is designed for use with VoIP phone systems, network closets, and data centers. Since these are devices that keep working for a long time, they need a reliable surge protector. This particular device has an energy rating of up to 1800 joules. That’s almost double that most of the other devices listed here.
This is not like the other surge protectors that can only be installed in one particular way. You can install it either horizontally or vertically, thanks to the rackmount design. It comes with a 15-foot AC power cable, which is the longest among all the devices discussed here. Additionally, the outlets and plugs are all network grade. In simple terms, you won’t have to worry about your network going out unexpectedly.
It comes with a metal housing, which is hailed as industrial-grade. That makes it a long-lasting power surge. Apart from having a high heat rating, the casing is also impact-resistant. With a 3-year warranty, this is definitely a device worth buying. Do not underrate it.
9. Surge Protector POWRUI USB Wall Charger
- Fast and responsive USB ports
- The energy rating of 1680 joules
- An LED light to show you are protected
- Not UL-listed
- For vertical outlets only
- Reports of USB ports not working
Best Wall Surge Protector with USB Charger
Everyone likes to have an easy-to-use charger for mobile phones and similar devices. The POWRUI USB Wall charger does that and more. In addition to two USB ports, it has 6 AC outlets. At the very maximum, the USB ports produce 5V of DC power. They are high-speed in nature and can quickly detect charging devices and charge phones and tablets fast enough. Besides, it comes with a phone holder on top.
The voltage range for AC power is between 100 and 240V. This is enough to accommodate most of the devices in your home. The surge protector has an energy rating of up to 1680 joules, which is powerful enough to protect most of your electrical and electronic devices. It has an LED light indicator that assures you of protection to your devices against electrical overloads, surges, and spikes.
It protects your devices using three main circuits. The first is the gas discharge tube (GDT), metal oxide varistor (MOV), and transient voltage suppressor (TVS). For this surge protector, you get a response speed of only 1 nano-second. That’s fast enough to arrest any power surge before it hits your devices. In addition to the relatively affordable price, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 12-month replacement warranty.
10. Belkin 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector
- Has 12 AC outlets
- Strong built quality
- A high energy rating
- Reports of a wrongly sitting on/off switch
- The material is not heat-resistant
- No USB ports
Best 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector
Belkin is known for making some of the best surge protectors and this is only one of their best products. The surge protector has a maximum of 12 AC outlets, which puts it in a different league. Thus, it can accommodate more devices than most of the other surge protectors in this review. The pivot power outlets make it possible for you to plug-in from any direction. All you have to do is to flip the outlet in the desired direction.
With an energy rating of up to 4320 joules, this is certainly one of the most powerful surge protectors. No matter how demanding your devices are, they will be protected by this device. It can protect your devices by up to 6000V. It stabilizes power to a standard 125V, 15A, 1875W.
This is basically a multi-function surge protector that can be used with appliances, computers, office equipment, and home theater sound systems. It comes with an operation manual that ensures safe operation, even for the laymen. With an 8-foot power cord, this surge protector can reach the furthest corners of your home or office. It comes with a lifetime warranty and a $300000 connected equipment warranty.
How to Choose The Best Surge Protector – The Ultimate Buying Guide
In order to protect your electronic equipment from unexpected power surges, you need a device that actually works. It is referred to as a surge protector and works by correcting the voltage before releasing it to your devices.
A surge protector is built to withstand power spikes even as it ensures the safety of your devices. It works by maintaining the power voltage at a safe level for your circuits. The best surge protectors are built with a heat-resistant material to ensure they last longer. So, what are some of the things you need to buy a surge protector?
Types Of Surge Protectors
Surge protectors exist in different types. Knowledge of the different types is important since it can enable you to pick the right one. The following are the various types of surge protectors:
- Whole Surge Protectors: If you are looking for a way to protect all outlets in your home, you might want to buy whole-house surge protectors. That way, your appliances will be protected from all kinds of power spikes and surges. For these power surges, you have to install in your home’s main electrical system. That way, it will protect your devices even before power reaches the outlets. In short, the surge protector is meant to be used together with point-of-use protection.
- Surge Protector Strips: In the review above, most of the featured devices fall in this category. They are simple devices that require plugging into a single wall socket. Since they have several outlets, these surge protectors allow for the connection and protection of multiple devices. But you cannot buy anything you come across. The device has to be labeled a “surge protector”.
- Wall-Mounted: A wall-mounted surge protector will look similar to a standard electric outlet. Apart from having a surge protector, it has several outlets, into which you can plug your devices. If you have limited space, opt for a wall-mounted unit instead of a regular-sized surge protector.
Features To Look For In A Surge Protector
It is not enough to narrow down onto a specific type of surge protector. There are other features you must consider. For instance, you are likely to come across surge protectors in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and price points. Without caring for a specific brand, the following are some of the factors to consider before buying a surge protector.
- Number of Outlets: The number of outlets on surge protectors differs based on the brand. It usually ranges from a minimum of 3 outlets to a maximum of 12. If you have only a few devices to connect, settling for a surge protector with a few outlets is okay. Otherwise, you have to buy one with up to 12 outlets. Only that those with more outlets look bulky and heavy.
- Energy Rating: The energy rating for a surge protector is measured in terms of joules. It refers to how many joules of the surge protector will be able to handle. In that case, you have to consider the power requirements of your devices before buying a surge protector. For example, if your electronics require high voltages, then the energy rating of the surge protector must of necessity be high.
- Portability: You may want a surge protector that’s easy to reach – one that makes it possible to connect a large number of devices at the same time. The good thing is that a good number of the available surge protectors are portable. You can carry them with you to and from your home. Still, many of them have USB ports through which you can charge your small devices.
- Warranty: Several of the surge protectors discussed in the review above come with warranties of varying lengths. While some warranties cover the surge protectors themselves, others take care of possible damage to the connected devices. Still, some surge protectors even have money-back guarantees attached to them.
- Durability: It is important that you buy a surge protector that’s durable. That ensures that you can have the surge protector for a long time to come. So, check that the material from which the surge protector is made is tamper-proof.
How Long Is The Battery Life?
While this attribute doesn’t have a direct impact on the ability of a surge protector to protect your devices, it is still important. You need to ensure that the cable is long enough to reach the outlet and devices to be protected.
Some of the surge protectors on the market may not have any cable. However, others have long power cables of up to 15 feet. Still, some of the power cables are braided and anti-tangle.
Is The Surge Protector Flame-Proof?
Many users of surge protectors have reported these units lighting up when the heat generated becomes too much. During a power surge, a simple spark can result in a flame if the surge protector isn’t made of the right material. The problem is that some units are made of regular plastic.
Others are made from metal, which resists sparks and dissipates any heat that might be generated. The ability of a surge protector to withstand heat is measured in terms of the energy rating. So check that the surge protector you wish to buy is actually fire-proof.
Does It Have Three-Line Protection?
Not all of the surge protectors in the market have three-line protection. Those that do are the best. With that, your devices are protected from three fronts. When one type of protection fails, the other will immediately kick in. that way, you will never experience a power surge. So, don’t stop until you are sure that the device has three-line protection.
How Much Does It Cost?
Importantly, you should consider the price of the surge protector. In most cases, the cheap surge protectors are just that – cheap. They are poorly built and may not offer effective protection to your device. So do not base your buying decision only on the price. You should consider all of the other factors before your budget leads you to acquire the wrong device.
If you can find the best surge protector for you, go ahead and buy it. Regardless of the price, you need it to protect your electronic devices against damage due to power spikes and surges. Check the reviews above to see if you can find what you are looking for. Just avoid being in a hurry.