Routinely forgotten and sometimes completely ignored, windshield wipers are the last thing that might stress a car owner.…..well, until that time when they wear out completely. When they fail to do their job, they are cursed. They become the subject of rude epithets. Surely, they don’t deserve all that. As a car owner, don’t wait until your windshield blades are reduced to some tattered strips —give them the consideration they deserve!
Just as is the case with dash cams, there are a lot of factors you need to consider in order to pick the right wiper blades. You need to choose something that won’t just freeze up during the cold months or a pair that can clean pollen off the glass during spring. The industry is dominated by numerous traditional titans, not to mention several cheap off-brands. Instead of spending hours browsing through all the options out there, check out our review on the best windshield wipers.
Top 10 Windshield Wipers of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 10 Windshield Wipers of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Michelin 8520 Stealth Ultra Windshield Wiper Blade with Smart Technology
- 2. ANCO 31-Series 31-22 Wiper Blade
- 3. Bosch ICON 26A Wiper Blade
- 4. PIAA 95055 Super Silicone Wiper Blade
- 5. ANCO 31-Series 31-34 Wiper Blade
- 6. Valeo 900261B Frameless ULTIMATE 26” All-Season OE Replacement Wiper Blade
- 7. PIAA 95060 Super Silicone Wiper Blade
- 8. ACDelco 8-4422 Advantage All-Season Metal Wiper Blade
- 9. Trico 20-1 Exact Fit Conventional Wiper Blade
- 10. Aero Premium All-Season Windshield Wiper Blades
- Best Windshield Wipers – The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Michelin 8520 Stealth Ultra Windshield Wiper Blade with Smart TechnologyBest Winshiled Wiper with Smart Technology
Michelin is a company that’s well-known for producing rubber tires. But that’s not their only business. For several years now, the company has been producing windshield wipers. If the Michelin 8520 Stealth Ultra is anything to go by, the company knows what it is doing. Those who have used this product say it is long-lasting. Unlike most wipers that are frameless, this particular model features hinge joints on the blade. This makes the wiper more forceful. As it turns left or right, it presses onto the windshield in a better way.
Also, the hinge has a smart cover. This protects it from snow, ice or other debris. The ends of the wipers have independent suspensions making it possible to adjust to the shape of the windscreen. The time will come when you want to replace the wipers. Thanks, to the EZ-Lok Connector, replacement is simple, easy, and fast.
Independent tests performed on the blades show that they are of the highest quality. In fact, it is estimated that these windshield wipers can last through 300,000 wipe cycles. That could be long enough for you to get a new car.
- Features the standard EZ-Lok connector
- Michelin is a trusted brand
- Features a frame system which pins it on the windshield
- Costlier than most of the other brands
- Ice may collect under the blade cover
- Not meant for use in winter
2. ANCO 31-Series 31-22 Wiper BladeBest Affordable Windshield Wiper Blades
The history of ANCO and windshield wipers dates back to the time the automobile was invented. So, its products are expected to be top-of-the-range. After all, this company’s experience in the industry dates back more than a century ago. Surprisingly, the ANCO 31-Series 31-22 Wiper Blade is one of the most affordable options.
So, when should you buy ACNO wipers? It largely depends on the issue at hand. For instance, you might want to replace a pair of wipers that are no longer working well. Or, you could be sprucing up your old car for sale. This product will give you what you want. It comes with the KwikConnect technology, which makes it a universal pair of wipers. In short, you can use these wipers on any type of vehicle. Trucks, cars, pick-ups, name them. All of these can comfortably accommodate these wipers.
The ANCO 31-Series is framed so as to press down on your windscreen and wipe it dry. Unlike other models, the frame system lacks a shielding. So, it is likely to stop working due to snow or debris. But that shouldn’t prevent you from buying it, especially if you intend to use it in sunny areas.
- One of the most affordable windshield wipers
- A universal wiper
- Framed bladed for pressing down on the windshield
- The frame isn’t shielded
- Reports of poor assembly and quality
- Not suitable for use in snowy weather
3. Bosch ICON 26A Wiper BladeBest Durable Windshield Wipers
On top of its industrial products, Bosch also makes windshield wipers. Thanks to this company’s good reputation, the Bosch ICON 26A Wiper Blade is expected to be of the highest quality. It is a frameless pair of wipers with a beam design. Unlike other frameless wipers, it features a tension spring. This enables it to overcome the contact issues facing other frameless wiper blades. The company has also mounted a spoiler at the end of the arm connector to press down the wiper when moving fast.
The Bosch ICON 26A Wiper Blade is of two main types one for a different windshield shape. So, you should be careful when buying, lest you pick the wrong windshield wiper. If you make that mistake, you may think the wiper is faulty.
While it is not the most affordable windshield wiper model, it is definitely one of the best. Featuring the FX-dual rubber cover, the wiper is heat as well as UV-resistant. It won’t break down after exposure to the sun for long periods of time. The quality of the hook adapter is the highest. The installation of this model is easier than most other wiper models. What more could you ask for?
- Sweeps well at fast speeds
- Has a working frameless system
- A spoiler for enhanced pressing down action
- Quite expensive
- Trouble from the connector and spoiler
- May fail to work if you buy the wrong type
4. PIAA 95055 Super Silicone Wiper BladeBest Silicone Wiper Blades
PIAA is a renowned manufacturer of auxiliary light but has since decided to also produce windshield wipers. Ever since it added windshield wipers to its product portfolio, the company has been doing well, if the quality of its wipers is anything to go by. The PIAA 95055 Super Silicone Wiper Blade features high-quality materials. That’s why it features among the costliest wiper models.
Made using silicone rubber, they provide the best visibility among the wipers featured in this review. As it sweeps up and down the windshield, it spreads silicone. Thus, the windshield ends up looking clearer than usual. Silicone enhances water beading in rainy weather better than the Rain-X.
In fact, this silicone wiper blade will reduce the chances of a hazy film. That cannot be said about other windshield coatings. Instead, it promotes the beading of water which is then removed by wiping. That’s when moving at low speeds. When the vehicle is moving fast, it creates a lot of wind which pushes the water off the windshield. The blade doesn’t have to wipe a lot of water, which is the reason it is expected to last long. Also, silicone rubber lasts twice as long as an ordinary rubber. Thus, you can expect to have better performing wiper blades for a long period of time.
- Silicone beads water for easy wiping
- Made of durable rubber
- UV and heat-resistant
- Costlier than most of the other models
- Reports of hazy windshields during rain
- Reports of terrible performance in rainy conditions
5. ANCO 31-Series 31-34 Wiper BladeBest High-Performance Wiper Blades
The ANCO 31-Series 31-34 Wiper Blade is basically a beam blade. As such, it exerts the highest levels of pressure to enhance blade-to-windshield contact. The low-profile design gives the blades great aerodynamic abilities. In addition to preventing lift, the blades also work quietly. After all, they have very few moving parts.
One thing about this windshield wiper model is that it is designed to work in all kinds of weather. In that regard, these blades are labeled as “winter wiper blades”. Even though similar to earlier versions of ANCO wiper blades, these are covered with a protective sheath of rubber. When driving in winter, this will prevent the joints in the frame from freezing up.
It features the KwikConnect technology which makes it sort of a universal windshield wiper. Also, it has a framed construction which presses down onto the windshield better. You can expect it to hold steady when the rain starts pouring onto the windshield. Thanks to the ultra-thick DuraKear wiping edge, the wiper blade works very well in wintry weather. It is made of natural rubber, which lasts long enough for you to derive maximum utility from the wiper.
- Protection from freezing, thanks to the rubber sheath
- A low-priced windshield wiper
- A universal windshield wiper
- Doesn’t look as good as the best wipers
- The quality is not the best
- Has some weak plastic parts
6. Valeo 900261B Frameless ULTIMATE 26” All-Season OE Replacement Wiper BladeBest All-Season Windshield Wipers
One of the biggest OE suppliers for BMW and Audi, Valeo is certainly one of the best makers of replacement windshield wiper blades. Those who have used Valeo wipers say they are as good as the factory-fitted ones. The Valeo 900261S Wiper Blades work in all kinds of weather. They feature a single piece of rubber. A steel frame runs the full length of the wiper blade, providing the necessary strength. With the integrated flexors, the wipers create up to 1500 pressure points to keep the blade in contact with the windscreen. Thus, the blade is able to better clean the windshield.
With only one piece of rubber, the blade is quieter than others of the same kind. It is also highly durable. The low-profile spoiler may mean it is of lesser quality but it still works well. In fact, they are billed as among the best after-market wiper blades. They are also quieter than most of the other blades. They work well in snowy and icy conditions. You don’t have to remove them in anticipation of the colder wintry weather.
Since Valeo makes wipers for most automakers, replacing the originals with these won’t make much of a difference. Note that you will need to keep cleaning and lubricating them to prevent noise and unnecessary breakdowns.
- An aerodynamic, low-profile spoiler
- An enduring single rubber piece blade
- Quiet operation to reduce noise from the wind
- Costlier than other models
- A not so rigid beam design
- May not work on some car models
7. PIAA 95060 Super Silicone Wiper BladeBest Wiper Blades with Patented Silicone
Like the other PIAA windshield wiper models, the PIAA 95060 features a silicone rubber blade. Thus, it is designed to last twice as long as a regular rubber. As it wipes the windshield, it leaves a silicone coating that repels water and enables it to form water beads. With that, the wiper finds it easier to clear the water off the windshield. Also, the likelihood of water causing a smokescreen by running off the windshield is greatly reduced.
The package comes with two different types of connectors together with a prep pack. The work of the windshield prep pack is clear the windshield of any dirt before installing the wiper blades. It gets rid of greasy film or dirt that may interfere with the wiper blades. In short, it ensures that the wiper blades are ready to work as soon as they are installed.
If you have been using standard rubber blades, it is time to get the necessary upgrade. But they will not perform well on a dirty windshield. Thus, it is necessary to regularly clean the windshield to enable your wipers to keep working well. While they might cost a substantial amount of money, they are less costly in the long-run.
- Silicone beads water for easy wiping
- Made of durable rubber
- UV and heat-resistant
- Costlier than most of the other models
- Reports of hazy windshields during rain
- Reports of terrible performance in rainy conditions
8. ACDelco 8-4422 Advantage All-Season Metal Wiper BladeBest Metal Windshield Wipers
The ACDelco 8-4422 Advantage All-Season Metal Wiper Blade is one of the most affordable models featured in this review. It is a universal windscreen wiper suitable for replacing your car’s original. The model features all-metal construction for durability and reliability. But that doesn’t the wiper blade is stiff and rigid. Instead, the wiper elements are precisely-fitted for quiet, smooth operation. The dogleg design ensures that the blade is able to work well with high-wrap vehicles.
Even though ACDelco has a reputation for quality products, the price tag for this particular model is lower than expected. So, you get a quality windscreen wiper at a very reasonable price. It might be one of the most affordable windshield wipers featured here, but it still compares favorably with high-end models when it comes to performance.
The ACDelco 8-4422 Advantage is made in a universal size, which makes it suitable for use on any type of vehicle. If your old hatchback or sedan needs a windshield wiper replacement, don’t look further than this. Apart from fitting in perfectly, the metal frame makes it very durable. It will fit in perfectly with the older car models.
- An affordable quality windscreen wiper
- A metal blade construction for a longer lifespan
- Can be used to replace wipers on any type of vehicle
- Comes in only one size
- Reports of streaking after a short time of use
- May not work well in wintry weather
9. Trico 20-1 Exact Fit Conventional Wiper BladeBest Convectional Wiper Blades
If you are looking for OE quality windscreen wipers, the Trico 20-1 Exact Fit Conventional Wiper Blade is the way to go. Even though they are replacement wipers, they will give your car that out-of-factory look you had forgotten about. Of course, Trico is a major brand of windshield wipers. However, this is the cheapest model among the rest. Since it is meant for different vehicles, it comes in a variety of sizes. According to Trico, their wipers are made to fit more vehicle models than all the others.
In manufacturing these wiper blades, Trico doesn’t just put together parts to send to the market. Instead, it pre-assembles the receptor and wiper blade to have a connector that matches the wiper arm style of the car in question. But why it the Trico 20-1 special? Most of the cars from factories in Detroit U.S.A, use Tri wipers on their new vehicles. That’s why this model of windscreen wipers work well as a replacement for the originals.
It has thick rubber blades, which are strong enough to clean dust, snow, and rain. The good thing is that the cleaning will happen without leaving any scratch marks. The think rubber is also chemical, water, and heat-resistant. Buy it if you spend a lot of time on the road.
- Has a thick rubber blade
- The wiper blade is created for an exact fit
- Installation is quick and takes only one step
- May not work with non-OE assemblies
- A reported flimsy joint mechanism
- Prone to streaking after a short time of use
10. Aero Premium All-Season Windshield Wiper BladesBest Durable All-Season Wiper Blades
Unlike other manufacturers which sell wiper blades in single pieces, the Aero Premium All-Season Windshield Wiper Blades come in pairs. It works well for vehicles with large screens that are hard to clean when it starts to rain. They measure 22 inches and can cover a wider than usual area. The Snap-on design features a blended rubber squeegee that smoothly cleans the windscreen without streaking. In that case, visibility while driving through snow or rain will be very clear.
When it comes to performance, the Aero Premium All-Season Windshield Wiper Blades are better than most of the other models. Of course, they have a set of blended rubber squeegees. Together with the aerodynamic frames, the squeegees make this a high-performing pair of wiper blades. The frame does not lift as a result of the heavy driving wind. The blades have durable, noise-absorbent plastic frames for a chatter-free, clean wipe.
With these wiper blades, little or no assembly is required. They have pre-assembled snap-on adapters which ensure easy installation. As soon as you remove the old wiper blades, you can easily snap on the new ones. Thus there is no need of using traditional blades in the place of OEM wiper blades.
- Durable, all-season wipers
- Ability to resist snow and ice build-up
- Great for a quiet, chatter-free wipe
- Reports of wipers snapping out of place
- Prone to steaking
- Reports of the wipers making too much noise
Best Windshield Wipers – The Ultimate Buying Guide
Windshield wipers are essential to all forms of automobiles. They wipe away the water and help you maintain a high level of visibility. However, you need the right pair of wipers to provide the king of functionality you want. To choose the right windshield wipers, it is important to go through a checklist of features. The following are the things that will help you decide on the specific wipers to buy.
What size of wiper blades do you need?
Wiper blades vary in size depending on the type of vehicle for which they are manufactured. For that reason, you cannot buy just any size of wiper blades. For example, if you need 22-inch wipers, ordering a larger or smaller pair will not take you far. If anything, the sizes of the wipers on the driver and passenger sides are different. That’s why most sellers package the blades individually and not as pairs. To know the wiper size to buy, check the owner’s manual, find out from the parts store or do the measurement yourself. That way, you can be sure you made the right decision.
What Type Of Wiper Is The Best?
There are three main types of windscreen wiper blades, namely the conventional, beam wipers, and winter wipers. However, there is likely to be a fourth type of wiper blades, which is the hybrid. We give the three types of wipers a detailed look.
- Conventional (Frame Style) Wipers: Most of the models available on the market are part of the conventional kind. They are usually framed in design. Instead, they feature the spring-tensioned frame assembly complete with a plastic or metal spline which props up the rubber blade. Since they are the most widely available, framed conventional wipers are also very affordable. They are also hardy, given the squeegees or hardened rubber blades. They are the best when it comes to effectively wiping your windscreen.
- Silicone Wipers: If you are looking for sturdy wiper blades, buy the ones made from silicone rubber. Since they are expected to last twice as long as the conventional wipers, these are also costly. They efficiently wipe down the water as they move up and down the windshield. So you should be prepared to pay more for these silicone blades. Most silicone wiper blade models have a running warranty for support. Also, they operate in a noise-less way.
- Beam Blades Wipers: On the other hand, we have the beam wiper blades which don’t have any external frames. Some may have a steel spring which pushes the rubber blade down to increase the level of contact. That way, it provides a more effective wipe.
- Winter Wipers: There are a number of windshield wipers designed for the harsh winter weather. Most of them feature the blade style and are covered with a protective rubber to prevent damage from the snow. Regardless of how harsh the weather is, these wipers will easily ward off the snow, ice, and other debris.
Does It Come With a Squeegee?
As we have already seen, some conventional wipers come with squeegees instead of rubber blades. It is important to look at whether they have squeegees since these components do the actual wiping. Don’t settle for any squeegee. Make sure it is of the highest quality possible. An important factor to consider is the material of the squeegee. If it is made of dual rubber, buy it for its durability. Equally good is the polymer and silicone rubber. They have a smooth cleaning action and are quieter than conventional rubber. The squeegee you choose should be enjoyable to use.
How Durable Is The Windscreen Wiper?
Wiper blades are exposed to the vagaries of the weather including snow, rain, and the sun. It is important that the wipers you buy have the ability to withstand the effects of the elements while lasting for a long time. Check the material from which the frame is made. Is it rubber, metal or plastic? Most wiper models feature galvanized steel which is durable and corrosion-resistant. However, there are some models that feature thick plastic frames, which are equally good.
Is The Wiper Easy To Install?
When it comes to installing wiper blades, it shouldn’t be too hard. Virtually anyone should be able to pull it off. If you can’t, then you will have to ask a technician to do it for you. Luckily, a number of windscreen wipers have been designed to make the installation process a breeze. The ease of installation will depend on the mounting method for the wiper. So, it is important to check the type of connector with which the wiper comes. That way, you will be sure that you can actually install it.
How Do The Wiper Blades Move?
The configuration of the wipers will depend on the type of vehicle you drive. Cognizant of this fact, manufacturers of wipers have made them differently. Here are the different ways your wiper blades are likely to move.
- Radial/Pivot (Left-Hand Drive): The blade is usually attached to one arm and then fixed to a motor. Its movement is in a parallel fashion. You will find this on left-hand drive vehicles.
- Radial/Pivot (Right-Hand Drive): These move in the opposite direction compared to the first type (above) and are mainly used on right-hand drive vehicles.
- Sequential Sweep: This is basically a front-window wiper with an unusual operating mechanism. The wipers are designed to move in opposite directions, thus covering a huge part of the windscreen. It reduces the likelihood of some corners going unwiped.
- Single-Blade Arm: Rear windshields often feature this kind of wiper. They rely on a center pivot to move back and forth and cover the widest area possible.
- Mono-Blade: In this case, the wiper is attached to a single arm that extends upwards. The blade covers an angle of 180 degrees even as the arm extends upwards. What you get is an M-shaped pattern. With a single blade, you are able to get broader coverage to clear your line of view.
If you are looking for a good windscreen wiper, the review above should be able to point you in the right direction. In case you do not find any of the items discussed above appealing enough, check out the detailed buying guide. When you go to the shop to look for a windscreen wiper, you will approach it with the right information. That way, you do not have to rely on the seller’s expertise to make a buying decision.